View Full Version : ERROR : Unexpected error in 'insert row' : java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: -1
04-24-2006, 10:04 AM
Alright well I got an intersting problem. This problem is something that is bitting me in the bum..
I created a transaction to update my deferent dimenstion and then to update my facts.
when I update one of my dimenstions via a slowing changing dimention I got this error.
I have previewed parts of the transaction and right before it gets to the dimension part there is data that is returned in the correct amount as I would expect.
so I I have two table inputs that go though a select value (mainly for trouble shooting) on table goes to one select value then those are put into a sort and then uniques are created. and when it then puts it into the dimension it tosses this error.
any idea of what I might be doing wrong here?
04-24-2006, 11:52 AM
Yeah well, I'm pretty sure your mixing rows with different layout or with fields in a different order.
Put a Dummy before the dimension lookup and do a preview on that one.
To speed up field lookup, most steps keep an index of fields based on their position in the row. (faster to access)
Solve it by putting 2 SelectValues before the step that accepts the 2 streams. Specify the same fields in the same order.
04-24-2006, 12:15 PM
yeah that's pretty much what I'm already doing. all the select values are mapped to the same types and to the same rename's and the dimension lookup see all the same stuff as I would expect. and I have also put in ifnull statements to make sure I wouldn't get anything that's null
the only thing is that they are not in the excate same order. I'll try that.
I already used it once to populate the dimension and it work perfectly but now that I'm using it to look stuff up and insert if it's not there.
The only big difference that I can see in the meta data for a description field coming from one is a string via the DB and text from the other db.
Thanks for the help matt
04-24-2006, 01:08 PM
well I put them in the excate same order as well as made sure and set all the meta-data to the same values. and thanks to Matt's great advice it sure enough worked.
I'm missing a lot of lil error b/c I think I'm pushing myself pretty hard and am kind of worn out. So I'm not as sharp as I use to be probably b/c of that.
THanks agian for the help matt.
04-24-2006, 01:12 PM
No problem Nic. I would love to solve this "issue" with Kettle, but it would mean taking a serious performance hit.
I'm thinking about making it optional so that you can do a "trial run" with extra checking enabled.
Oh well, plenty of other priorities left I guess :-)
04-24-2006, 02:16 PM
I no longer getting the array problem as stated above.
I'm getting a different problem that I have looked and looked at. and it's that something isn't found in the field list. though when you hit get values it comes up. and in the different previews it's there too. Any other suggestion of what I could take a look at.
04-24-2006, 02:55 PM
well I think I got it. it was with the select value.
I had stuff in both select and alter as well as in meta-data.
took the stuff out of select and alter and things seems to be working.
I hope this is helpful