US and Worldwide: +1 (866) 660-7555

Thread: Result limit on SQL statements

Default Result limit on SQL statements

Hi,
    I've been having performance issues with an MDX query and after some analysis I believe this is due to the way SQL statemets are generated, in particular, to the number of rows they return.
    No matter the size of the set I run the query on, the SQL queries always return around 1300 rows.
    How does Mondrian determine this limit? Is there any way to change it?
    Last edited by exeba; 02-08-2013 at 04:28 AM.

I'd like to add one more detail:
    In mondrian 3.3 this issue is not present: The data for the query is gathered through much bigger queries (one or two), with a positive effect on the execution time.

There is a property mondrian.result.limit that will cause an exception to be thrown if the number of rows returned from a sql query exceeds the limit. I don't think that's what you are looking for though. Can you post an MDX query and the resulting SQL queries?

Thanks for your interest!
    Unfortunately mondrian.result.limit is not the issue.
    I'll try to describe more precisely the problem, this is the simplest example I could came up with:

___________________________________________________________________________________
    MDX QUERY:

SELECT
    NON EMPTY CrossJoin(
    {[Periodo].[2012].[1].[1].Children,
    [Periodo].[2012].[1].[2].Children,
    [Periodo].[2012].[1].[3].Children,
    [Periodo].[2012].[1].[X].Children},
    {[Measures].[Temperatura Massima]}) ON COLUMNS,
    NON EMPTY CrossJoin([Filiali].[Filiale].Members, {[Dati].[Temperature].[Mandata].[Murale Latticini 1, Modulo 2]}) ON ROWS
    FROM [Cube]

The columns axis contains the time dimension, in particular, the first X days of January 2012, hour by hour.
    The rows axis contains a particular variable ([Dati].[Temperature].[Mandata].[Murale Latticini 1, Modulo 2]) measured in several branches ([Filiali].[Filiale].Members)
    _______________________________________________________________________________

When I run the MDX query, a series of SQL queries {QUERY(i,j)} is generated, and they look like this:

QUERY(i,j) = select `variables`.`id` as `c0`, `branches`.`ID` as `c1`, `datetimes`.`id` as `c2`, max(`measures_temperature`.`value`) as `m0` from `variables` as `variables`, `measures_temperature` as `measures_temperature`, `branches` as `branches`, `datetimes` as `datetimes` where `measures_temperature`.`variable_id` = `variables`.`id` and `variables`.`id` = 1411 and `measures_temperature`.`branch_id` = `branches`.`id` and `branches`.`ID` in ($BRANCHES_SUBSET_i) and `measures_temperature`.`datetime_id` = `datetimes`.`id` and `datetimes`.`id` in ($DATETIMES_SUBSET_j) group by `variables`.`id`, `branches`.`ID`, `datetimes`.`id`

$BRANCHES_SUBSET_i and $DATETIMES_SUBSET_j are partitioning of [Filiali] and [Periodo] dimensions, respectively.
    As I increase the number of days included, the number of sql queries grows, each one of them roughly returns around 5k rows (checked by manyally executing the sql statements)

If I had to guess, I'd say that this feature has been included in order to allow Mondrian to process the results without having to wait for the execution of a big query.
    However, the way queries are split up is far from optimal in my case.

try the following query:

Code:
    WITH

SET xj AS NonEmptyCrossJoin({[Dati].[Temperature].[Mandata].[Murale Latticini 1, Modulo 2]}
    , NonEmptyCrossJoin([Filiali].[Filiale].Members
    , {
        [Periodo].[2012].[1].[1].Children,
        [Periodo].[2012].[1].[2].Children,
        [Periodo].[2012].[1].[3].Children
    }))

SELECT
        Extract(xj, Periodo) on 0,
        Extract(xj, Filiali, Dati) on 1
    FROM [Cube]
    WHERE [Measures].[Temperatura Massima]
    with the following stuff set in your mondrian.properties:
    Code:
    mondrian.native.crossjoin.enable=true
    mondrian.native.nonempty.enable=false
    mondrian.rolap.cellBatchSize=ReallyBigNumber (i use 2147483647)
    i've found that using NonEmptyCrossJoin() in the WITH section of the query drastically and profoundly improves the performance of non-empty type stuff.