US and Worldwide: +1 (866) 660-7555

Thread: Int to String formula expression

Default Int to String formula expression

I'm attempting to write a formula expression in Pentaho Report Designer 3.9. The expression will take the SEMIANNUAL1_VALUE attribute which is an int or number-field and display "N/A" when the value is -1. Below is the expression I currently have that is not working.
    Code:
    =IF([SEMIANNUAL1_VALUE] = -1 ; TEXT("N/A"); [SEMIANNUAL1_VALUE] )
    I have this expression in the "value field" in Pentaho Report Designer which should handle this exception. Your help is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by wtolbert View Post
    I'm attempting to write a formula expression in Pentaho Report Designer 3.9. The expression will take the SEMIANNUAL1_VALUE attribute which is an int or number-field and display "N/A" when the value is -1. Below is the expression I currently have that is not working.
    Code:
    =IF([SEMIANNUAL1_VALUE] = -1 ; TEXT("N/A"); [SEMIANNUAL1_VALUE] )
    I have this expression in the "value field" in Pentaho Report Designer which should handle this exception. Your help is appreciated.

Hi,

Create a new Function (Right click-> Add Function)
    Select Commom->Open Formula
    In fuction Name put Any String.
    In Formula put: =IF([SEMIANNUAL1_VALUE]=-1;"N/A";[SEMIANNUAL1_VALUE])
    Ricardo Díaz
    Pentaho Consultant
    Quito - Ecuador

Ricardo I have tried this approach but I'm still getting incorrect results with the report displaying "-1" instead of the desired "N/A". I assume it may be because I'm trying to convert an int to a string. When I change the attribute to a "text-field" instead of a "number-field" this expression works fine but the additional rows with numbers need to be formatted to a percentage which will be viewed on the report. A resolution may be just to change the number-field to a text field, have an open formula that manipulates the string then have another expression to format the numbers to a percentage. I thought someone here could explain another way.

I think there's no other solutions. If you want to write a String in a field you have to use a text-field/label/message-field.