US and Worldwide: +1 (866) 660-7555

Thread: Attributes independent of any hierarchy in Schema Workbench

Default Attributes independent of any hierarchy in Schema Workbench

Hi, I am using Pentaho Enterprise Editions 4.8.

I have a dimension names 'Hospital'. There is field called HospitalName. There are three more fields named hospitalSystem, HospitalRegion, HospitalSize that have one to many relationship with HospitalName. However, there is no such relationship among the three attributes.

When I put all the four attributes in Schema Workbench, I am forced to use hierarchies. But I can't put the four fields in one hierarchy. So now I am forced to use three hierearchies like this

Hierarchy 1. HospitalSize --> HospitalName
    Hierarchy 2. HospitalSystem --> HospitalName
    Hierarchy 3. HospitalRegiona --> HospitalName

However, what I really want is a dimension in my schema workbench like this:

Dimension - Hospital
    Attributes - HospitalName, HospitalSize, HospitalSystem, HospitalRegion
    Hierarchies -
    Hierarchy 1. HospitalSize --> HospitalName
    Hierarchy 2. HospitalSystem --> HospitalName
    Hierarchy 3. HospitalRegiona --> HospitalName

So basically I want to be able to use Hospital attributes without having them to be part of any hierarchy. Is this possible in version 4.8?
    I read somewhere that it's possible in the version 5.0 but I am not sure. Can you guys help me with this please? Thanks,

ap

Could it be that you really have 3 Levels? From coarse to fine they would be:
    1. HospitalRegion
    2. HospitalSystem
    3. HospitalName

And then HospitalSize would be either a measure in the fact table or else just a property of HospitalName?
    pdi-ce-4.4.0-stable
    Java 1.7 (64 bit)
    MySQL 5.6 (64 bit)
    Windows 7 (64 bit)

Thanks for your response Darrell. The HospitalSystem, HospitalSize, HospitalRegion are not levels of hierarchy, but attributes of the same Hospital dimension. So, now I am forced to have 3 hierarchies 1 for each. Each hierarchy has 2 levels.

What do you mean by "property of a HospitalName"?

If Region, System, and Name are not levels of the same hierarchy then why wouldn't they be separate dimensions?

Member Properties are explained here: http://mondrian.pentaho.com/document...ber_properties

Perhaps then, Region and System could also be properties of HospitalName. Can you give some examples of these attributes and how they are not related by level?
    Last edited by darrell.nelson; 12-11-2013 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Perhaps...
    pdi-ce-4.4.0-stable
    Java 1.7 (64 bit)
    MySQL 5.6 (64 bit)
    Windows 7 (64 bit)