Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Unity of Pentaho Community

Default Unity of Pentaho Community

I am a new user of Pentaho, and I see that the community is not yet united. I participate in some email groups and see lots of questions and few answers. The most experienced rarely help, most often offer paid support.
    I think Pentaho is a great tool, and the more users using Hitachi, the more likely it is to invest in it, sometimes this lack of help can drive away new users.
    Student of Informations Systems at UFMS

Programmer and Data Analisys at BovBI ( http://bovbi.com.br )

Ponta Porã, MS - Brasil

Hi Froeder!

I totally agree with you on your last comment. I posted a question yesterday seeking for help with Saiku Analytics and hope to get help.
    Once it works, people have to publish back to others the solutions in order to make grow this community (spirit of the open source).
    Visited the website where you are (bovbi.com.br), great! Make me wish I spoke Spanish. :-)

** I'm looking for a website with complete tutorials on installing, configuring and utilisation of machines, Pentaho products and plugins (Community Editions) with stable versions, so that users could save the time they bump into technical problems and put it instead in discovering and publishing their successfull experiments to others. Have you seen such website yet? (I checked on TunkeyLinux site -ready to use virtual machines with working solutions- and they don'y have Pentaho bi servers unfortunately.)

Good luck on your studyings!

Jean from Quebec, Canada

Hi Jean

In fact the site is the company where I work, sorry for not being in English, as soon as possible we will translate it.

I gave a researched and found this site http://www.schenkels.nl/category/pentaho/, has some tutorials, I hope to be useful.

In fact Pentaho can be difficult to set up and configure, and sometimes we do not find the answers on the internet, luckily my boss is an expert on Pentaho, and I get all my doubts with him. As for the Pentaho community, I think that the people who use the tool do not yet have the census of sharing that has open source comunity, which is regrettable because it drives away new users.

I hope this question changes, because Pentaho is an excellent tool, and the more users, the more Hitachi will invest in it.

Keep in touch...

Jhonatan, from Brazil.

Ponta Porã, MS - Brasil

Hi Jhonatan

Yes, I read that website of Mr Schenkels and you gave me the idea to offer him to work together in order to write a successfull installation procedure of the most recent products in CE versions.

I joined below the email I just sent him. You will see that my problem seems somewhere else than the PSW connection or Data Source. I suspect some server configuration missing as some steps that Mr Schenkels I didn't do.

As your boss is an expert, maybe you could show him what I offered below to Mr Schenkels. Maybe we could share our installation procedures (compare) or you guys could have a look at mine to detect what's wrong? I could let you know the products we work with and what we want to do (and so could you to me, so we could help each other better.

Definitely keep in touch! :-)

Hi Mr Schenkels, your "How To: Install and configure Pentaho BI Suite 5.1 CE | Ubuntu 14.04 | PostgreSQL 9.3" is great! I was looking for the same steps, all with CE products of Bi Suite 6 or 7, Ubuntu 16.04 or 16.10, PostgreSQL 9.5.5 (or close) and PSW Linux 3.13. I have installed all the above and noted in detail the steps. Unfortunately, I'm struggling with the fact that I can't see my cubes wit Saiku Analytics 3.8.8 (installed "into" BI Server) from Marketplace. Then installed "beside" BI Server the Saiku server and then see my cubes?!?. I haven't run the 3 scripts concerning quartz, repository and jcr + step 4 of PostgreSQL in backend. Are they mandatory and what for? (I supose I'll have to read deeply the installation scenarios on official website). Do you think we could work together in writing such procedure with the above products versions? Then you could publish it on your website? I suggest I send you what I have to an email and you could complement or correct it. Thanks in advance! Jean Leblond, Quebec, Canada

Hello Jean, sorry for the delay in answering, we are on vacation .

You can give me your installation process so that we try to identify your problem. For contractual reasons, I can not show you what we're doing :| , but we're working on an open-source project, and as soon as we release it, I'll send to you link to the project.

Do you use Pentaho for personal studies, or professionally?

Best regards .

Ponta Porã, MS - Brasil