US and Worldwide: +1 (866) 660-7555

Thread: directions needed with Kettle/Quartz integration

Default directions needed with Kettle/Quartz integration

Hi there,

I've been asked to integrate into a BI Portal based on the GA PCI a solution that:

1.- fetches log files from a configurable list of ftp servers
    2.- transforms the log files appropiately to
    3.- insert them into a datawarehouse

Ideally, all of this (ftp location, job scheduling) should be configurable in the admin portal.

After going over (among others) "Creating Pentaho Solutions" , "Pentaho Advanced Installation Guide", "Spoon's User Manual", "Chef's User Manual" and searched the forums I'm missing the following pieces

1.- AFAICT, only Chef knows something about FTP, and Pentaho can't (yet) run Chef jobs (JIRA: PLATFORM-304). I haven't seen any FTP components in Pentaho.
    2.- I need all the flexibility of cron jobs, but I've seen no documentation on how to set them up in the embedded Quartz, nor any components designed to do this.

I guess I can code my own component for 1, but I'm a bit lost regarding 2: is the Quartz scheduler already started? How do I configure jobs via actions?

Am I missing something? What's the easiest way to accomplish this?

tks
    --
    pica

Default Re:directions needed with Kettle/Quartz integratio

For 1 your right.

For 2, Kettle/PDI is not integrated with Kettle. You can start Kettle jobs from Quartz but for the moment you would have to roll your own, or use the kitchen/chef script to be schedule jobs/transformations.

Regards,
    Sven

Default Re:directions needed with Kettle/Quartz integratio

Actually, AFAICT, job support is in the latest Pentaho RC.

Matt
    Matt Casters, Chief Data Integration
    Pentaho, Open Source Business Intelligence
    http://www.pentaho.org -- mcasters@pentaho.org

Author of the book Pentaho Kettle Solutions by Wiley. Also available as e-Book and on the Kindle reading applications (iPhone, iPad, Android, Kindle devices, ...)

Join us on IRC server Freenode.net, channel ##pentaho