US and Worldwide: +1 (866) 660-7555

Thread: Scheduling jobs

Default Scheduling jobs

Hi,

I'm trying to use KETTLE with a MySQL DB.
    The only missing point on Kettle (for me) is a scheduler...

I 'm tying 2 ways to schedule my Kettle jobs :
    - Using the EVENT function of MYSQL, but i don't know how to "connect" it with Kettle
    - Looking on the Web, i heard about using the Windows Scheduler, but i don't know how to use it with Kettle too.

If anyone/matt can help me, it will be nice.

thkx

Rom

Default RE: Scheduling jobs

Hi Rom,

Did you try looking in the Kitchen or Pan manual?

Thanks,

Matt
    Matt Casters, Chief Data Integration
    Pentaho, Open Source Business Intelligence
    http://www.pentaho.org -- mcasters@pentaho.org

Author of the book Pentaho Kettle Solutions by Wiley. Also available as e-Book and on the Kindle reading applications (iPhone, iPad, Android, Kindle devices, ...)

Join us on IRC server Freenode.net, channel ##pentaho

Thank you for this very fast answer, I'll try it now.

Rom

Thanks a lot, scheduling works using pan or kitchen.

Rom

In the Start node of Job, there is a way to specify scheduling.
    I could not locate a documentation for how this works.
    Could please explain how it works, if any supporting software is needed, what happens if the previous job-run is still running when it is time to run the next schedule, etc? (or point to some documentation)?

Hi

I recently needed to do something similar myself and found that you have to use Kitchen to perform the scheduling.

I did find a piece in the Kitchen user guide but basically if you are using a windows environment you need to create a windows batch file which contains the following command:

kitchen.bat /rep:"The Name of your Repository" /job:"The Name of the Job you wish to Start" /dir:/location /user:XXX /pass:YYY /level:Basic

Simply substitute the name of your repositoty within double quotes after the /rep: parameter, the job you want to initiate in double quotes after /job:, its location in the repository /dir:, the username and password to access the repository after /user: and /pass:, and finally the type of logging you want after the /level:.

You then use the windows task scheduler to schedule the windows batch file you have created.

It works pretty well and I have had a job running on a daily basis for a month or so now via this method.

If you do not want to access the job via the repository you can access a file and this is covered in the Kitchen User Guide as is doing the same thing in a unix environment.

Hope this helps

Mark
    Last edited by marki; 01-11-2010 at 01:38 AM.