US and Worldwide: +1 (866) 660-7555

Thread: Pentaho 1.2, Quartz/Scheduler documentation

Exclamation Pentaho 1.2, Quartz/Scheduler documentation

I seem to be having a hard time finding detailed documentation to get scheduling to work with Pentaho 1.2. I'm following what is on the WIKI, but since that is labelled 'Latest' I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

NOTE: IF THIS IS NOT THE CORRECT THREAD, PLEASE DIRECT ME TO THE CORRECT THREAD RATHER THAN IGNORING.

I'm using the scheduler_test files directly from the pentaho-solutions/test/scheduler/*.* and having difficulties. The Pentaho system itself has been working fine for some time, so it is not the environment/system. Using the default test files, so shouldn't be issues with those. Also created own test file for extra testing, also not working.

Can someone point to some documentation to make sure that everything is installed correctly for Quartz use?

*Jboss 4.0.5
    *Pentaho 1.2.0.GA
    *PostgreSQL
    *hibernate-managed=true

/system/quartz/quartz.properties setup for JDNI use of postgres database, including PostgresqlDelegate. PentahoQuartz-DS.xml setup specifically for only Pentaho use (seperate from Jboss default quartz).

Default quartz.properties file, only changed Delegate and JNDI pointer to PentahoQuartz JNDI name.

Default pentaho.xml, hibernate-managed=true.

Please - not looking for assumptions but proven results.

error
    =========
    Error: JobSchedulerComponent.ERROR_0001 - Unable to get an instance of the scheduler - java.lang.Exception: QuartzSystemListener.ERROR_0001 - Scheduler was not properly initialized at startup (org.pentaho.plugin.quartz.JobSchedulerComponent)
    Debug: audit: instanceId=418d0d36-862f-11dc-bd6f-b3fa962e8a4c, objectId=JobSchedulerComponent, messageType=component_execution_failed (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    Error: RuntimeContext.ERROR_0016 - Initialization of component failed (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    Error: RuntimeContext.ERROR_0012 - ActionDefinition for JobSchedulerComponent did not execute successfully (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    Debug: audit: instanceId=418d0d36-862f-11dc-bd6f-b3fa962e8a4c, objectId=org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext, messageType=action_sequence_failed (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    Error: SolutionEngine.ERROR_0007 - Action sequence execution failed (org.pentaho.core.solution.SolutionEngine)
    =========

thanks - was hoping this would be trivial, but I have been proven wrong.

Attached example scheduler.xaction and quartz.properties file. I have provided all information I can think of, and just hope this isn't gonna be another '0' reply thread ;-)

-D
    Attached Files Attached Files

Not sure if this is jboss-specific, or application servers in general, but the example JNDIurl is incorrect.

Modified quartz.properties:

...jndiURL=java:Quartz (or, in my case, java:PentahoQuartz) instead of Quartz or jdbc/Quartz.

still error related to rollback or something similar:
    ===========
    Error: Couldn't rollback jdbc connection. You cannot rollback during a managed transaction! (org.pentaho.plugin.quartz.JobSchedulerComponent)
    Debug: executeComponent finished audited execute (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    Error: RuntimeContext.ERROR_0012 - ActionDefinition for JobSchedulerComponent did not execute successfully (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    Debug: audit: instanceId=9feab57d-8635-11dc-9226-03522ef40a6f, objectId=org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext, messageType=action_sequence_failed (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
    Error: SolutionEngine.ERROR_0007 - Action sequence execution failed (org.pentaho.core.solution.SolutionEngine)
    ============

I've seen this feature mentioned over and over again. Why is it not working in a real-world environment?

so...yeah...

When you create the xaction for scheduling, do you need to call it through ViewAction? That seems to be the only way to 'load' the schedule, and I'm running into the rollback error still.

*Do I need to modify the *-ds.xml configuration on jboss? If so, how.

*Do I need to modify quartz.properties? If so, how.

*Do I need to modify pentaho.xml? If so, how.

*Is there some other resource other than Pentaho Wiki, Pentaho Forums, Goolge, or the downloaded documentation and samples that I am just blatantly missing? I've used up all the above and I'm still waiting on a reply to this post.

Has ANYONE deployed the quartz/scheduler outside of the hibernate database?

goto the file solution/system/quartz/quartz.properties and change the line:

org.quartz.jobStore.driverDelegateClass = org.quartz.impl.jdbcjobstore.PostgreSQLDelegate

We've tested this in-house and it seems to take care of the problems.

Bill

The attached quartz.property file already had this in place:

org.quartz.jobStore.driverDelegateClass = org.quartz.impl.jdbcjobstore.PostgreSQLDelegate

I have since abandoned this request and have gone a different route, so can not confirm any changes.

Not that it matters anymore, but I'm also using quartz db postgresql (not 1.2, though)
    Pedro Alves
    Meet us on ##pentaho, a FreeNode irc channel

Unfortunately, my frustrations stemmed from Pentaho 1.2 and an advertised feature with that version.

I definitely appreciate that this is now corrected and someone else has proven this to now work correctly. If/when I migrate to one of the newer BI Platform version I will re-investigate.