US and Worldwide: +1 (866) 660-7555
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XMLA debug, excel output

Default XMLA debug, excel output

Hi,
    After upgrading to 3.0.2, i have problem displaying XMLA output for debugging purposes. Using Jboss 3.0.5, I have put this into log4j.xml:
    <category name="mondrian">
    <priority value="DEBUG" />
    </category>
    I get MDX and SQL output, but no xmla - can anyone tell me the appropriate setting here?

The reason i want xmla output is because i try to connect excel 2007 to a mondrian server (standalone, not pentaho). According to one thread here, it should be possible also without the simba driver. Connecting works fine from Jasperreports and other applications. I get this error when trying to connect from excel via the ssas driver :
    "The xsd:schema element at line 9, column 312 (namespace http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema) cannot appear under Envelope/Body/ExecuteResponse/return/root"

Hi,

can you post which ssas driver are you using. Is this the MS OLE DB Provider for Analysis Sevices 9.0?
    And which URL are you using?
    May be I can try to reproduce this.

Thanks,
    Jens

Hi All,

I have the same error,

Have you found the solution for this issue?

Thanks
    Gergo

Default asdf

I don't know about the problems you're having right now, but I do have a recommendation for seeing the XMLA.

I would recommend you get Wireshark installed. You can intercept all packets sent to the server & view the entire HTTP packet, though all you really need is the body of the packet to get the SOAP wrapper & XMLA content.

-Brian

Default Logging XMLA

For another way to log your XMLA messages, see

http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread.php?t=58822

Tom

Default asdf

Great recommendation. Thank you, Tom.

-Brian

Thank you all for the replies. I have gone way out of my league, and studied mondrian source code. I am using Excel 2007 and mondrian 3.0.3 running on jboss/localhost (provider confirmed working from xmla driver in jasperreports). These are preliminary research results (may be affected by my severely limited understanding of java, soap and xmla).
    :

* The reason mondrian does not produce debug output is that LOGGER is declared final. I have no idea what this means, but removing "final" from the constructor (?) in xmlservlet.java and configuring log4j.xml accordingly, makes mondrian output soap and xmla requests and responses.

* ADOMD.NET (i assume this is what is identified as ole db provider for olap services 8.0) sends binary garbage to mondrian instead of soap/xmla. According to a thread at this forum, it has to do with encryption and security.

* msolap9 (ole DB provider for analysis services 9.0) does actually communicate with mondrian using soap/xmla. But:

* When pressing "Test connection" in excel, excel generates an empty execute statement, rather than a DISCOVER statement (as i had expected). This is what excel sends:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <soap:Envelope xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/">
    <soap:Header>
    <BeginSession xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-analysis"/>
    <Version xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/analysisservices/2003/engine/2" Sequence="2"/>
    </soap:Header>
    <soap:Body>
    <Execute xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-analysis">
    <Command>
    <Statement xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-analysis"/>
    </Command>
    <Properties><PropertyList><LocaleIdentifier>1044</LocaleIdentifier></PropertyList></Properties>
    </Execute>
    </soap:Body></soap:Envelope>

* to deal with the request, mondrian runs XmlaHandler.writeEmptyDatasetXmlSchema . This method returns an empty Executeresponse to excel, except it contains an element "<xmlschema ..>" under the Root element, which is not allowed according to xmla schema definition (ref msdn). This is what causes the error message in the original post.

* Commenting out the entire body from writeEmptyDatasetXmlSchema eliminates the original error, mondrian now outputs an empty root element, but:

* Excel now complains about an unknown error (file pcxmlaclient.cpp line 564, function PCXMLAClient::Beginsession)

* Mondrian should have returned a session ID in the soap header (<soap:header><Session SessionId="somestring"></soap:header>. This needs to be appended to DefaultXmlaServlet.marshallSoapMessage (at line 494), but i have no clue how to get access to the actuall sessionid. Just adding the line in soap header without a correct sessionid yields another error message.

Rumors has it that the taxpayers want me back counting students and staff, so i think i'll leave it there for now. I believe a working OS solution for excel integration would be a great bonus for mondrian, and the efforts not prohibiting, but it would have to be done by an actual java programmer (ie, not me).

with mondrian 3.0.4 and Excel 2003 + OLE DB provider for AS 9.0

I Got same error as you

I commented then this line in XmlaHandler class:
    writer.verbatim(EMPTY_MD_DATA_SET_XML_SCHEMA);

I have now this error in Excel:
    Internal error: An expected error occured (file 'pcxmlaclient.cpp', line 563, function 'PCXMLAClient::BeginSession').

when I look at the packets, I see:

==== Request ====
    POST /xmla/msolap.asp HTTP/1.1
    User-Agent: Light DCube
    Host: 127.0.0.1:8888
    Content-Length: 143
    Connection: Keep-Alive
    Cache-Control: no-cache

BINARY STUFF HERE (in Excel request)

==== Response ====
    HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
    Content-Length: 1401
    Server: Jetty(6.1.9)

<html>
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1"/>
    <title>Error 404 NOT_FOUND</title>
    </head>
    <body><h2>HTTP ERROR: 404</h2><pre>NOT_FOUND</pre>
    <p>RequestURI=/xmla/msolap.asp</p><p><i><small><a href="http://jetty.mortbay.org/">Powered by Jetty://</a></small></i></p><br/>
    <br/>
    <br/>
    <br/>
    <br/>
    <br/>
    <br/>
    <br/>
    <br/>
    <br/>
    <br/>
    <br/>
    <br/>
    <br/>
    <br/>
    <br/>
    <br/>
    <br/>
    <br/>
    <br/>

</body>
    </html>

==============

so the OLE DB provider for AS 9.0 is looking for /xmla/msolap.asp which of course is not available on my server.

and this can not be changed in the request as it seems hard coded !

did someone investigate this ? or faced same issue as me ?

Is there any progress on correcting errors? And will it?

Hi,

Any update on this issue? I am getting similar in my end.

Thanks,
    Uday