- Keep it short and simple
- One problem per message, please
- No explanations of the problem. Just post a one liner of what you think should be said in the error message. Link to another thread if you truly feel the need to expound on the problem
- The point of this thread is to improve the quality of error messages, not provide people insights into your problems
- Do not post if you don't have a solution to the problem. This is not a tech support thread, this is a compendium of problems with solutions
- Scan the thread to see if a similar exception/error message is already posted. Only add a new post on your problem if the problem occurs under a situation not previously outlined, and you have a solution to this situation/problem
- In other words, if it happens to you, but other solutions didn't resolve your problem, do not post here -- this is not a tech support thread.
- If the exception generates a message, make sure you include that
- In cases where the error message uses details from your schema/architecture, add a very short explanation as to what the elements in the error message represent (dimension/hierarchy/level names, members of a dimension, measures, etc)
- If a stack trace is available, whether or not there's a message, paste only the first few lines of the stack trace -- enough to determine where the exception is generated from.
- If there are multiple distinct exceptions generated from one problem (note rule #2), include each distinct exception, following rules 4 & 5
Down the road, with the blessing of the Mondrian devs, I hope to use the information people post here to improve the quality of the error messages Mondrian generates. Please -- I can't stress this enough -- keep it short and simple. I don't want to read about your trials & problems, I want to see something like the following:
Error message: WARN [ExplicitRules] The Cube 'blah' relation is not a MondrianDef.Table but rather 'mondrian.olap.MondrianDef$View'.
Stack trace: None available
Suggested error message: "Mondrian does not support <View>, <Join>, or <InlineTable> for fact tables -- only <Table> is supported at this time"
Short explanation: Error message is good enough.