US and Worldwide: +1 (866) 660-7555

Thread: Automatic Export Microsoft SSAS 2005 to Mondrian

Default Automatic Export Microsoft SSAS 2005 to Mondrian

Hi,

We intend to migrate cubes from SSAS 2005 to Mondrian.
    But the SSAS xmla specification is so different that the file can't be recognized by mondrian.

Could be an option to generate a ETL process of parsing the XML file and constructing the equivalent SSAS in Mondrian?

But before I begin, I wonder if anyone knows a better way for do it automatically?
    Or even know if it is possible to create this ETL process?

Thanks in advance.
    Ricard

You're talking about XMLA .... xmla is only the SOAP transportation protocol for interacting with the cube

you can access your SSAS cube via a) Kettle 4.0 OLAP Input Step b) Pentaho Analysis Tool

If you're talking about migrating a SSAS cube into a mondrian schema cube then i'm afraid there is no automatic task for that

I don't know how complex your cube is, but you could use olap4j to connect to the SSAS cube and ask for all the metadata you can get and build a mondrian schema file with that. not sure if its possible to get all the information you need for the schema via XMLA (you can get dimensions, cubes, hierarchies, levels, etc but i don't think you can get the mapping between logical and physical layer of the cube.... dimension > db table)
    Check out the saiku project ( online demo ) - next generation open source analytics

Quote Originally Posted by bugg_tb
    Join the Unofficial Pentaho IRC channel on freenode.
    Server: chat.freenode.net Channel: ##pentaho

Please try and make an effort and search the wiki and forums before posting!

My mistake, with XMLA wanted to refer to the xml file that can be generated from SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services.

And yes, I was talking about migrating a SSAS cube into a mondrian schema cube.
    It is not a single cube. There are a few to migrate

The starting point would be to take the XML file and convert it to a Mondrian Schema Cube.

Any help is welcome.

Thanks

well if you don't have 100 different cubes i would do that manually

i don't think there is a safe, easy automatic-migration path from SSAS -> mondrian

as i said, you could use olap4j to get some information of the SSAS cube and create parts of a mondrian schema file, but definately not all of it

i don't know how SSAS cube xml files look like and if you can build a mondrian schema out of it
    Check out the saiku project ( online demo ) - next generation open source analytics

Quote Originally Posted by bugg_tb
    Join the Unofficial Pentaho IRC channel on freenode.
    Server: chat.freenode.net Channel: ##pentaho

Please try and make an effort and search the wiki and forums before posting!

Quote Originally Posted by pstoellberger View Post
    you can access your SSAS cube via a) Kettle 4.0 OLAP Input Step b) Pentaho Analysis Tool
    I downloaded version number 4.0.0-M2 of Kettle and I see no "OLAP Input Step".
    I only see a Mondrian Input Step that i think it can't access to SSAS's cubes.
    Does it exists another step that i haven't seen?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by riravedra View Post
    I downloaded version number 4.0.0-M2 of Kettle and I see no "OLAP Input Step".
    I only see a Mondrian Input Step that i think it can't access to SSAS's cubes.
    Does it exists another step that i haven't seen?

Thanks
    In the 4.4.1 Kettle, you will find an "OLAP Input" step under Transformations. You can use that to connect to SSAS cubes. Since this is an XML/A interface, you will need to connect to your SSAS cubes via URL. To do this, follow these instructions to expose your SSAS cubes using MSMDPUMP: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../gg492140.aspx.

You can then point to your cubes and use MDX like I did below against my Adventure Works cube ... Note that SSAS requires Windows Auth, so you will need to use a Windows/AD user account to access the cube from Kettle:

kettle.jpg