US and Worldwide: +1 (866) 660-7555

Thread: Custom Dashboard as start page

Default Custom Dashboard as start page

Hi,

I have set up the pentaho BI server 3.5 and I have built a dashboard using the CDF. What files do I have to change if I want the user to see my dashboard instead of the pentaho user console right after the login?

And what do I have to add to my template-dashboard.html to provide the logout function?

Thanks!
    Last edited by a.sami; 05-20-2010 at 09:48 AM.

I came across this blog post from a different forum posting that may answer your question and more.

http://www.prashantraju.com/2010/02/...onsole-part-1/

Hi a.sami,

I am new to pentaho BI, i was using BI server 3.5.2, I would like to build dashboard by using CDF.
    I had modified the files (jsp, widget.xml, xaction files and .properties) for steel-wheels example in (pentaho-solutions\steel-wheels\dashboards) and edited the web.xml in "biserver-ce\tomcat\webapps\pentaho\WEB-INF". However, I was not able to view my dashboard in user console when double click the url (internet shortcut), something like http://mydashboard/ this webpage is not available. I think I might miss to set up something for the url addresses. Do you have any idea regarding on this?

I have 1 more question (sorry if it sounds silly) Below is some code for the "Sales_by_Territory.xaction" in "pentaho-solutions\steel-wheels\dashboards". I wonder where "territory_name" and "territory_name" these input come from/declare?)

<documentation>
    <author>Kurtis Cruzada</author>
    <description>List of Territories sorted by Sales. Select date range (Jan 2003 through May 2005). Includes chart.</description>
    <icon>slsbyter.png</icon>
    <help/>
    <result-type>none</result-type>
    </documentation>

<inputs/>

<outputs>
    <!-- an output stream will be provided by default -->
    <swresult>
    <type>list</type>
    </swresult>
    </outputs>

<resources>
    <!-- use this section to identify any files that the component needs to execute the report -->
    </resources>

<visible>false</visible>
    <actions>
    <action-definition>
    <component-name>SQLLookupRule</component-name>
    <action-type>SQL Query</action-type>
    <action-inputs>
    <territory_name type="string"/>
    <productline_name type="string"/>
    </action-inputs>
    <action-outputs>
    <query-result type="result-set" mapping="swresult"/>
    </action-outputs>
    <component-definition>
    <jndi>SampleData</jndi>
    <query><![CDATA[SELECT OFFICES.TERRITORY, SUM(ORDERDETAILS.QUANTITYORDERED*ORDERDETAILS.PRICEEACH) SOLD_PRICE FROM ORDERS INNER JOIN ORDERDETAILS ON ORDERS.ORDERNUMBER = ORDERDETAILS.ORDERNUMBER INNER JOIN PRODUCTS ON ORDERDETAILS.PRODUCTCODE =PRODUCTS.PRODUCTCODE INNER JOIN CUSTOMERS ON ORDERS.CUSTOMERNUMBER =CUSTOMERS.CUSTOMERNUMBER INNER JOIN EMPLOYEES ON CUSTOMERS.SALESREPEMPLOYEENUMBER = EMPLOYEES.EMPLOYEENUMBER INNER JOIN OFFICES ON EMPLOYEES.OFFICECODE=OFFICES.OFFICECODE GROUP BY OFFICES.TERRITORY ORDER BY 2 DESC]]></query>
    </component-definition>
    </action-definition>

</actions>
    </action-sequence>

Thanks for your time and sharing...

Best regards,
    Theng

Hi,
    your first question is not clear to me, you should be able to open a dashboard in full-page view (providing the correct link), while I don't think you can open a dashboard inside the User Console unless you already are in the User Console (in which case you can with a javascript command).

As for the second not-so-silly-question, if that's the whole file those parameters actually seem to come out of nowhere, but they aren't even used in the query so I believe you could delete those two lines. Maybe they are left-overs?

Cool An Alternative

If it's of any consequence, you can specify which dashboards, reports etc you want to have opened up by default within the user console after logging in. This is specified in MantleSettings.properties. You can use 7zip to open the jar archive and modify your settings. Make sure your sever is not running before attempting to make any chages to this file. The full path is
    pentaho\server\biserver-xx\tomcat\webapps\pentaho\WEB-INF\lib\mantle-3.x.jar\org\pentaho\mantle\server\
    Example:
    # startup urls (each displays in its own tab)
    num-startup-urls=1
    startup-url-1=content/dashboards?solution=MyDashboardSolution&path=/Dashboards&action_name=My Default Dashboard.xdash
    startup-name-1=Dashboard

-Darrin
    Last edited by microdisney; 06-07-2010 at 01:49 PM.
    "If you want to increase your success rate, double your failure rate."
    Thomas Watson, Sr (former president of IBM)

This link should answer mos of your questions when altering the PUC
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Schmidt View Post

And I agree with SCP when he says
    Quote Originally Posted by SCP View Post
    [...] those parameters actually seem to come out of nowhere, but they aren't even used in the query so I believe you could delete those two lines. Maybe they are left-overs?

Quote Originally Posted by microdisney View Post
    If it's of any consequence, you can specify which dashboards, reports etc you want to have opened up by default within the user console after logging in.
    My problem is that I dont want to see the PUC at all...instead I would prefer to redirect to my dashboard pages!

Suggestions anyone?

Default Hope it helps you

in the following file in BI server : biserver-ce/tomcat/webapps/pentaho/index.jsp.
    You will notice the following code:

<html>
    <head>
    <title>Pentaho BI Platform</title>
    < META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" CONTENT="0;URL=./Home" >
    </head>
    <body>
    </body>
    </html>

To redirect Pentaho to load a specific report instead of running Home.jsp, change the index.jsp file in the webapps directory, as in the following example:

<html>
    <head>
    <title>Pentaho BI Platform</title>
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" CONTENT="0;URL=" URL OF YOUR REPORT">
    </head>
    <body>
    </body>
    </html>

When this is done, when you open bi server, on successful authentication you will be directly redirected to your report

I hope this is what u are asking.