US and Worldwide: +1 (866) 660-7555

Thread: How do I get rid of shared connections?

Default How do I get rid of shared connections?

I have some shared connections that keep popping up every time I create a new job or transformation. Most have out of date settings in them, and some have caused conflicts in production jobs because of this. Every time I delete them, they show up again the next time I open Spoon. I have checked every shared.xml that I can find, and none of them have any entries at all in them. How do I get rid of these things?

Hi,

are you using a repository?
    If so, try "Explore Respository" there you should be able to delete database-connections you do not need anymore...

HTH,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by TomS View Post
    Hi,

are you using a repository?
    If so, try "Explore Respository" there you should be able to delete database-connections you do not need anymore...

HTH,

Tom
    Originally was not using a repository.
    Later, I created a repository and saved a transformation that I imported from a .ktr file, which also included all of those shared connections. When I did that, all of those unwanted shared connections showed up in the repository. I have deleted them form the repository using the Connections tab in the repository explorer, but as soon as I log out and come back in they reappear. I can see the entries for them in the R_DATABASE table in the repository. I considered running a delete query to get rid of them, but the cascading constraints scares me, I don't know what inadvertent damage I may do.

Remove them from the shared.xml file? (or un-share in versions >=4.1.x)
    Matt Casters, Chief Data Integration
    Pentaho, Open Source Business Intelligence
    http://www.pentaho.org -- mcasters@pentaho.org

Author of the book Pentaho Kettle Solutions by Wiley. Also available as e-Book and on the Kindle reading applications (iPhone, iPad, Android, Kindle devices, ...)

Join us on IRC server Freenode.net, channel ##pentaho

Quote Originally Posted by MattCasters View Post
    Remove them from the shared.xml file? (or un-share in versions >=4.1.x)
    Original post - see bold text

Quote Originally Posted by DDewar53 View Post
    I have some shared connections that keep popping up every time I create a new job or transformation. Most have out of date settings in them, and some have caused conflicts in production jobs because of this. Every time I delete them, they show up again the next time I open Spoon. I have checked every shared.xml that I can find, and none of them have any entries at all in them. How do I get rid of these things?

It goes without saying that shared.xml was meant to be used in conjunction with the "only save used connections in XML" option which is the default these days (I think ;-)). So if you disabled this option it could be that the connection got saved in the .ktr and .kjb files that you generated.

The only other place these connections can come from is a repository.

In short: not that hard to figure out.
    Matt Casters, Chief Data Integration
    Pentaho, Open Source Business Intelligence
    http://www.pentaho.org -- mcasters@pentaho.org

Author of the book Pentaho Kettle Solutions by Wiley. Also available as e-Book and on the Kindle reading applications (iPhone, iPad, Android, Kindle devices, ...)

Join us on IRC server Freenode.net, channel ##pentaho