Great tips on these forums! Thank you all for that!
I am installing Pentaho biserver-ce 3.7 on an Ubuntu 10.04 box, following Prashant Raju's guide. Which is a must read for every newbie (like me): http://www.prashantraju.com/projects/pentaho/
I ran into a few issue's up till now, let me share them with you:
1. I installed as much with apt-get as possible (makes updating much easier).
2. To get sun java 6 you need to add a reporistory:
3. Now install sun java6, tomcat6, mysql-server
sudo apt-get python-stofware-properties
sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner"
sudo apt-get update
4. You have the latest mysql-java-connector on your system now, so don't copy the connector as in the guide of Prashant.
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk sun-java6-jre mysql-server tomcat6 libmysql-java
5. Put a symlink in the tomcat/lib directory directory to the connector:
6. The tomcat webapps dir is not where Prashant says it is, so I made another symlink:
sudo ln -s /usr/share/java/mysql-connector-java-X.X.XX.jar /usr/share/tomcat6/lib/mysql.jar
7. Add the home directories and catalina opts to /etc/environment
sudo mkdir /opt/tomcat/webapps
rm -rf webapps
ln -s /opt/tomcat/webapps /var/lib/tomcat6/webapps
Don't forget to source /etc/environment again!
CATALINA_OPTS="-Xms256m -Xmx768m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -Dsun.rmi.dgc.client.gcInterval=3600000 -Dsun.rmi.dgc.server.gcInterval=3600000"
8. I want to connect from different places the mysql server, so I hashed bind-address in /etc/mysql/my.cnf
9. Restart the mysql server and stop tomcat
10. Follow Prashant's guide
sudo /etc/init.d/mysql restart
sudo /etc/init.d/tomcat6 stop
11. For some reason the pentaho.log file needs to have a fixed address, edit /opt/tomcat/webapps/pentaho/WEB-INF/classes/log4j.xml I changed pentho.log to
So now all my tomcat logs are in /var/log/tomcat6
12. Change the owner of everything in the /opt folder to the tomcat user:
12. Start tomcat again
sudo chown -R tomcat6:tomcat6 /opt/pentaho
sudo chown -R tomcat6:tomcat6 /opt/tomcat
13. The BI Server works! Although with errors Looking into solving this error now:
sudo /etc/init.d/tomcat6 start
I'll check back in when I solve this, if anyone has got an idea in the meantime, please let me know!
Unable to create default kettle.properties file : /usr/share/tomcat6/.kettle/kettle.properties