US and Worldwide: +1 (866) 660-7555

Thread: Run xaction from PDI?

Default Run xaction from PDI?

Is it possible to execute an xaction from within a job or transformation?

linux
    Pentaho PDI EE 4.1.2 GA - file repository
    Pentaho BI EE 3.2.5 xaction (possibly older)

Not yet without some tinkering in UDJC.
    Matt Casters, Chief Data Integration
    Pentaho, Open Source Business Intelligence
    http://www.pentaho.org -- mcasters@pentaho.org

Author of the book Pentaho Kettle Solutions by Wiley. Also available as e-Book and on the Kindle reading applications (iPhone, iPad, Android, Kindle devices, ...)

Join us on IRC server Freenode.net, channel ##pentaho

Can we run xactions from linux shell scripts?

I have a report (xaction and old style xml report format) that is currently scheduled from the user console. It is dependant on a nightly ETL process. The report aborts if the ETL process has not completed. To give the ETL process plenty of time to complete, I have the report scheduled for 3 hours after the normal ETL completion time. I would like to run this report as soon as the nightly process has completed, rather than wait the 3 hours.

Any suggestions?

Other than use the Reporting output step I have no suggestions for the time being. It shouldn't be too hard to create an "XAction" step but my knowledge of the BI platform is not that rich to make that happen in the short term.
    Matt Casters, Chief Data Integration
    Pentaho, Open Source Business Intelligence
    http://www.pentaho.org -- mcasters@pentaho.org

Author of the book Pentaho Kettle Solutions by Wiley. Also available as e-Book and on the Kindle reading applications (iPhone, iPad, Android, Kindle devices, ...)

Join us on IRC server Freenode.net, channel ##pentaho

The PDI has proven extremely usefuly and the main reason is that this forum is active and alive, expecially with your responses. Thank you so much.

It would make my life easier if the BI Platform, Pentaho Reporting and Metadata forums were more responsive. The lack of information on those other forums has forced me to use the PDI for much of what the other applications might be intended.

Would it be possible to have a PDI transform create a schedule for the report?

I'm not fully familiar with the other components either, but would it work to go the other way?

Use BIServer (scheduled xaction) to call the PDI Job and wait for it finish, which then calls another Xaction?
    ... Might be worthwhile posting this in BIServer too...