US and Worldwide: +1 (866) 660-7555

Thread: How to install PDI/Kettle 4.1

Default How to install PDI/Kettle 4.1

Hello,

Wiki seems not to be working : http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/EAI/

Could you tell me where I could find a doc with the Server-side (linux/debian) install documentation (as up-to-date as possible) ?

Thank you very much

Roms

Hi Roms,

the wiki seems to be offline...
    However, basically there is no need to "install" PDI... just unzip the distribution-archive (zip or tar.gz) you downloaded from sourceforge.
    Then run "spoon.sh" (you need a JRE installed and a X-Server to design your Jobs/Transformations in the Spoon-GUI)

With Spoon you will produce the ETL-Files (or stored in a database).
    For running the ETL logics, you will use "pan.sh" or "kitchen.sh" which do not require a X environment and are therefore useful to be used on a server-environment (where usually no X is present)

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom,

thanks for replying, i'm trying since a couple of days to understand how to configure a file repository on my debian server. I have a mac client with some kjb and ktr.

I would like to add the XML in a versioned system (I saw that it was possible), but how can I call it? I saw we couldn't call a file that is not in a "repository" ? (http://forums.pentaho.com/showthread...-from-xml-file)

At the moment my main question is : how do you create a "file repository" (if needed) ?

Thanks for your help

Roms,

when placing the KJB and KTR files into the file-system, no repository is used.
    Thus, you just need to specify which KTR/KJB file should be run when calling kitchen.sh or pan.sh...
    The "file repository" is basically only a bunch of folders which you may create in order to organize your PDI-files

The error message in the referenced thread says:
    "Unable to load the job: please specify the name and repository directory OR a filename"
    OR a filename... which means: PDI can call KJB/KTR definitions if they reside either in a database based repository or somewhere in the (readable) filesystem.

Cheers,

Tom

OK, it works perfectly, thanks a lot !!