US and Worldwide: +1 (866) 660-7555

Thread: Default password for admin in pentaho bi server 4.0 enterprise edition

Default Default password for admin in pentaho bi server 4.0 enterprise edition

Hi,
    I'm trying to evaluate pentaho bi server 4.0 enterprise edition.
    I tried to create some new users and assign them roles.
    I looked at the forum posts that if we want to do this, we should log into application as admin.
    I tried to input 'password' as admin password (as I see in another thread that this is the default password for admin) but I can't get logged in.
    How can I log into pentaho bi server as admin and create new user ?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Regards,

You have to login in into the administration console not the BI-server (by default localhost:8099).
    Default login is admin/password.

I hope this helps.

grtz,
    Hans

thanks for the reply hans...
    I tried to start pentaho enterprise console (pentaho administration console for bi-server enterprise edition ?) by double clicking start-pec.bat.
    it turns out that the password for the admin is "pentaho", not "password".
    regards

Ah my bad !
    but i'm glad you found it !

grtz,
    Hans

Strangely, I tried to input admin/pentaho as username/password pair in local machine.. it works. but when I tried to input the same credentials in another remote machine in my network (using the same installation file), I can not get logged in.
    I've also found out that password information is stored in (your-pentaho-enterprise-console-folder)/resource/config/login.properties file in an encrypted form.
    My question is can we change this value (changing this password) in this file so we can log into pentaho enterprise console ?
    Thanks

Yes you can !
    to get the encrypted form of the password (please keep a copy of the original in case it fails) you have to use following command (assuming you use linux)
    java -cp lib/jetty-6.1.2.jar:lib/jetty-util-6.1.9.jar org.mortbay.jetty.security.Password MyUsername MyPassword
    You have to check the jetty version under enterprise console/lib and have it running.
    after a restart of the server you should be able to login using the new username/password

hope this helps

grtz,
    Hans

Ok Hans, thanks a lot for the reply. I'll try that..

Quote Originally Posted by hansva View Post
    Yes you can !
    to get the encrypted form of the password (please keep a copy of the original in case it fails) you have to use following command (assuming you use linux)
    java -cp lib/jetty-6.1.2.jar:lib/jetty-util-6.1.9.jar org.mortbay.jetty.security.Password MyUsername MyPassword
    You have to check the jetty version under enterprise console/lib and have it running.
    after a restart of the server you should be able to login using the new username/password

hope this helps

grtz,
    Hans