US and Worldwide: +1 (866) 660-7555

Thread: Tree Visualizer doesn't show attrib. vals. for split points for User Classifier

Default Tree Visualizer doesn't show attrib. vals. for split points for User Classifier

I'm using User Classifier on the example described in Chapter 11 of the "Data Mining" book. I used three rectangles, in succession, to select different parts of the data set. I didn't switch attributes in between, so they're all splitting on region-centroid-row AND intensity-mean. When I look at the Tree Visualizer, however, they all look the same, since the nodes only list the attributes on which they're splitting, not the values of those attributes (which determine the shapes and coordinates of the rectangles). I'd like to be able to look at those values, but I don't see a way to do it. When I right-click on a node and choose "Visualize The Node", I see "Sorry, there is no available Instances data for this Node." Is that intentional? Is there some other way I can figure out what the attribute values for the splits are?

You can just highlight the node in the "Tree Visualizer" and then switch to the "Data Visualizer" view - this will show you the shapes you defined on the data at that node. Since you can define arbitrarily shaped polygons and polylines etc. it is rather difficult to provide a compact textual description of the bivariate split.

Cheers,
    Mark.