US and Worldwide: +1 (866) 660-7555

Thread: Embedding reports to tomcat-based Web Application

Default Embedding reports to tomcat-based Web Application

Hi all,

I'm integrating the report .prpt files to my own web application following the methods of "Pentaho Reporting 3.5 for Java Developers". The web application can be accessed sucessfully. However, it failed to generate pdf report. After requesting pdf report, nothing displayed but only blank webpage. Anybody knows this issue? Thanks in advance.
    Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to localhost_8080.jpg
    localhost_8080_tthreport_report.jpg

I'm pretty sure the prpt file is working. Tested on report designer.

Check for errors on the server (any exception, and if you use PdfReportUtil, check the return-value! False == error) and check that you send the correct headers.

If you increase the log level you should see exactly what is going on there.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

Thanks so much Taqua. I found the issues! I was using a metadata-based report file, so the metadata file are necessary. Moreover, many other libraries are needed, such as database connection driver, kettle drivers, metadata related drivers, and so on. I have lots of elements in the report, such as multiple parameters, rectangles, lines, different fonts and colors, so many libraries must be included in order to draw the report. It's a good idea to import all the libraries inside report designer to our own web application.
    There are no much information in the console or webpage, so we have to check any possible errors manually. As Taqua said that the logging system is good tool to find errors. And also, the log files locate in Apache_tomcat_home/logs/, such as "catalina.2012-XX-XX.log" and "catalina.out". To debug the program, checking these log files and make sure if any libraries missed, then add them and the problems like this post should be gone!

Hope this post useful for anyone who intends to embed reports to their own web applications. Thanks.