PDA

View Full Version : New open source project based on JPivot and Olap4J

mysticfall
09-28-2012, 08:57 AM
Hi all,

I'd like to let you know that I just started a new open source project based on JPivot and Olap4J in case you're interested.

http://mysticfall.github.com/pivot4j/

It's basically a streamlined JPivot with its backend replaced with Olap4J, which intended to serve as a generic pivot grid model for any GUI implementations.

It's still very early stage in development and currently lacks any concrete frontend implementation for now. However most of the major features of JPivot like drill down, sorting, etc are implemented and working.

Please feel free to leave a message in our forum if you have any question or suggestion.

Thanks!

Xavier

gutlez
09-28-2012, 02:09 PM
Did you look at Saiku before starting on this?
Instead of building something new, I'm sure they could use the help implementing features and bugfixes...

mysticfall
09-28-2012, 02:58 PM
Did you look at Saiku before starting on this?
Instead of building soemthing new, I'm sure they could use the help implementing features and bugfixes...

Actually, I did :) Though I couldn't spend much time in researching the project.

Before I decided to start Pivot4J project, I was in search for a suitable JPivot replacement as I was developing on a BI application myself.

At first, I used JPivot as a backend API and built an ajax based UI on top of it. It ran quite well however as JPivot was never intended to be used as such, I didn't like the design of my code. And also there was some enchancements I needed to make on JPivot, but as the code is pretty outdated and not actively maintained anymore, it was not very pleasant to work on its codebase.

So I decided to move on to Olap4J, however it soon turned out that it would take too much time and effort to build something like JPivot on top of it, as there was so many missing parts for now (notably org.olap4j.transform.*).

After that I found Saiku but unfortunately I couldn't use it for my project, as it's licensed under GPL and it also lacks some crucial features I needed for my project like drill down, drill replace, etc, which was not suprising as Saiku is also based on Olap4J. And it looks more like a BI analysis application than a JPivot replacement and all I needed was small pivot grid backend API which could be easily integrated with my application. So even though Saiku looks great and seem to have lot of potential, I just can't use it to replace JPivot for my project.

Then I realized that what Olap4J lacks are all in JPivot already, so I decided to start a new project which combines Olap4J's solid backend implementation with JPivot's mature query transform layer with all the consideration for lot of corner cases.

For now, I'm quite happy with the result as now I could use it to replace my legacy application written with JPivot.

I just hope it could be of some help to other people who's in search for JPivot replacement like myself.

Xavier

mysticfall
09-28-2012, 07:44 PM
After checking up with Saiku once again, I believe it's just the type of project which could directly benefit from Pivot4J.

As I said below, Saiku and Pivot4J don't cover the same ground and now after some quick overview of their code I found that it would be a trivial task to implement missing features like drill down, drill up, and etc using Pivot4J.

Currently there's some basic query transform operations like placing dimensions on axis implemented in org.saiku.olap.query package using Olap4J's rather incomplete org.olap4j.query package. As Pivot4J is also based on Olap4J for the backend parts, you can just leave all the other code in tact and add another IQuery implementation with Pivot4J.

This way, it could add features like drill down, drill up, and etc which could even work with an arbitary user MDX. With Olap4J alone, it would be quite difficult to reconcile user MDX with a designed query model.

Maybe I'd better contact the developer to share my idea, or even contribute some code myself if I could find some spare time.

Xavier

mysticfall
02-04-2013, 12:54 AM
I'm happy to announce the release of Pivot4J 0.6, which includes Excel and PDF exporters and other enhancements and bug fixes.

Now it also provides a fully working example application to demonstrate the basic usage of the API :

http://youtu.be/3cUyAKXfmEk?hd=1

I hope someone who has better experience with Pentaho BI platform could make a plugin using my library. As Pivot4J and Saiku have different approach and architecture regarding query transformation, rendering/exporting, etc I suppose it might be a great addition to the existing options for pivot presentation in the platform.

Maybe I should do it myself if there'll be some free time in future :)

mysticfall
02-23-2013, 11:23 AM
Now, we have the Pentaho BI plugin in development. The first public snapshot build is already available here (download section) :

http://mysticfall.github.com/pivot4j/pentaho.html
(http://mysticfall.github.com/pivot4j/pentaho.html)
It depends on the upcoming 5.0 release of the Pentaho BI platform, so it's not compatible with the current 4.8.0 stable release.

Please take time to test it and give some feedback to help us improving the project.

Thanks!

Xavier

joshid
03-10-2013, 06:17 AM
Congratz for your project. I think it's going to fill the gap jPivot left in Pentaho BI. I'm looking forward more features in Pivot4J like charts, totals/subtotals, etc.

Good work!

Now, we have the Pentaho BI plugin in development. The first public snapshot build is already available here (download section) :

http://mysticfall.github.com/pivot4j/pentaho.html
(http://mysticfall.github.com/pivot4j/pentaho.html)
It depends on the upcoming 5.0 release of the Pentaho BI platform, so it's not compatible with the current 4.8.0 stable release.

Please take time to test it and give some feedback to help us improving the project.

Thanks!

Xavier

mysticfall
04-15-2013, 06:30 AM
Congratz for your project. I think it's going to fill the gap jPivot left in Pentaho BI. I'm looking forward more features in Pivot4J like charts, totals/subtotals, etc.

Good work!

Thanks for the kind words! The latest 0.7 version already includes non-MDX totals/subtotal(and other calculations) feature. I believe I can add charting support probably in the next release, so please stay tuned for the update :)

tazus
04-29-2013, 03:06 AM
Any further development on this project? If I would like to test it, where I can find Pentaho 5.X? Thanks.

mysticfall
05-14-2013, 08:33 AM
Any further development on this project? If I would like to test it, where I can find Pentaho 5.X? Thanks.

Hi tazus,

Of course! A lot of interesting things are going on in the project recently, like conditional formatting feature which I guess will be available in the snapshot build sometime around this weekend.

You can our home page to find out how to test the plugin with the Pentaho 5.x snapshot (including the link) here :

http://mysticfall.github.io/pivot4j/pentaho.html

Thanks!