PDA

View Full Version : Why is my timezone set to GMT???

gmoran
11-30-2006, 02:09 PM
With all accounts that were imported into the new forum software, the personal setting "timezone" was defaulted to GMT. Some would say, well, why didn't we default it to EST, since we are based in Florida? That would be because the vast majority of our communities are NOT even in the United States.

When new accounts are created, the user is given the option at time of registration to change their timezone.

Users with existing imported accounts can change their personal timezone setting by navigating to User CP, Edit Options - timezone is at the bottom of the page.

Hope this helps!

gmoran
11-30-2006, 04:37 PM
OK, so I am not so clever. The timezone that is confusing to everyone is the one that shows when youa re NOT logged into your account, which would be the system default. THAT timezone is set to EST. The zone was displaying as GMT-4, which EST is GMT-5. This was because there is an additional option (if vBulletin has anything , it has OPTIONS) that you must set specifiying whether we are currently honoring Daylight Savings Time.

Now, I would have thought that that would be something that was automagically handled? Anyway, when I set the parameter to 'no', then the times displayed are EST if you are not logged in. This also seems like a default that could/should be picked up from the browser. hmmmm.

Anyone who can explain to me why this would be a manual setting, I'm all ears. I won't have time to investigate until much much later. I'm supposed to be writing massive amounts of doc for this move...

-G