PDA

View Full Version : Style of code-blocks

Taqua
12-01-2006, 11:10 AM
Hi All!

The forums look (and feel) great, but there is one major annoyance.
The 'code' blocks have overflow activated (so that large blocks get
scrollbars).

Now, when you use the mouse-wheel to scroll through the page, this
causes the mouse to get caught into that block. And scrolling stops.

During the last years with JFreeReport's forum (where people post
whole books of code sometimes), we never had the need to activate
that 'overflow' style on those boxes. I would be more than happy,
if that particular style setting could go away.

If you want to see what that setting can do to the readability of
a posting, then look at the following blog entry:

http://www.nicholasgoodman.com/bt/blog/2006/11/29/email-to-osi-license-discuss-re-generic-attribution-provision/

Have fun,
said Thomas

gmoran
12-01-2006, 11:15 AM
Thanks Thomas!

I believe I undserstand your annoyance with the scrolling, I will look into it and see if we can make it optional at the very least.

We also allow attachments in these forums where the JFreeReport forums did not, and that might be why people cut and pasted those "books" rather than attaching them.

I think overall I would rather read short, concise posts and download the attachment for the detailed code, rather than have the entire thing pasted into a post. But that may be just my opinion. It will be nice to get others to weigh in on the matter :)

-G

mbatchelor
12-01-2006, 11:20 AM
Hey Thomas,

It's likely that what you're describing is a platform-specific or mouse-driver specific behavior. I happily and trivially used my scroll wheel to scroll up and down Nick's blog without it getting stuck in any of those boxes. For reference, here are the details of what I'm using:

Winblows XP latest service packs and fixes
MS Comfort Optical Mouse 3000
Detected in Winblows as an HID-compliant mouse (7/1/2001, 5.1.2600.0)
DRIVERS/mouclass.sys and DRIVERS/mouhid.sys

Hope this helps,

Marc

dmoran
12-01-2006, 02:14 PM
I don't think it's exactly a mouse issue - I get a 1 line text box with a big horizontal scrollbar on each of those boxes on Nicks blog.

It looks like the carriage returns are not being honored. You can see places in the text where words are run together and I think that is where his carriage returns were.

Mac 10.4.8
Firefox 2.0

Doug

gmoran
12-06-2006, 10:45 PM
The best I could do is increase the number of lines before the scrollbar appears from 30 to 100. I know this doesn't completely satisfy your annoyance Thomas, but that is the best vBulletin will give us!

kind regards,
-G