PDA

View Full Version : JasperReports integration

jdixon
06-18-2005, 09:23 AM
If you are interested in using JasperReports as the integrated report engine instead of BIRT please reply to this post.

If you are interested in helping to create the integration wrapper let us know that as well.

James Dixon
Chief Geek
pentaho.org

Post edited by: dmoran, at: 06/20/2005 14:18

didin19
06-19-2005, 11:29 PM
Are there hesitations in choosing between either those report engines?

jdixon
06-20-2005, 01:38 PM
BIRT
BIRT is designed to be embedded into an application, not be be a standalone report server.
BIRT is new and has a smaller community than JasperReportts.
BIRT is controlled by a vendor, Actuate, with commercial products.

JasperReports
JasperReports is designed to be more of a standalone server
JasperReports is more established and has a larger community than BIRT.
JasperReports is controlled by a vendor, JasperSoft, wth commercial products.

didin19
06-21-2005, 12:14 AM
I agree that Birt is too new, but Eclipse.org will pull it to the top, for sure. JasperReports is very mature, stable and well featured (it has Excel export !).

JasperReports doesn't integrate a native charting engine (instead of Birt) . What do you intend to do ? use jfree ?

grimes
06-21-2005, 07:40 AM
"JasperReports is designed to be more of a standalone server"

JasperReports is targeted at standalone reporting, but it is JasperDecisions, JasperSoft's commercial product, that provides the server elements.

Seth

abdj
06-21-2005, 06:38 PM
JasperReports is mostly used as a library embedded inside an existing enterprise Java application. Although it is more established, Jasper free designers (iReport etc.) are not really simple and easy to use. In comparison, I found BIRT designer to be much easier to use. BIRT has html style tables and css styles which make designing reports a better experience for a person familiar with html and css. BIRT report object model is also quite intuitive and simpler than Jasper model. BIRT documentation, though the project is new, is very much superior to the free Jasper documentation.
didin19 already mentioned the chart issue as well as the absence of excel in BIRT. I hope that the BIRT team will include excel in BIRT ASAP. It is a very important feature which most of the customers demand so that they can play with the data inside Excel.
Should Pentaho tie itself to a specific open source reporting library like BIRT or Jasper or should it make this a pluggable option? Definitely there would be an effort involved to make it pluggable and I don't know whether it is worth the effort or not.

Post edited by: abdj, at: 06/21/2005 22:40

grimes
06-21-2005, 06:54 PM
Remember that there are several report designers for JasperReports including JasperAssistant and that JR and JA both have Eclipse plug-ins.

I don't have first-hand experience with JR or BIRT although I do plan to try them very soon for a project on which I'm already using JPivot/Mondrian. My expectation is that for this particular project BIRT will prove a better choice, but in general it's nice to have choices, which is a point of this thread. Similarly I'm on the verge of tossing MySQL out on its ear because of an annoying bug with collation sequence on joins. I'd install Postgres instead. Choice is good.

"...superior to the free Jasper documentation"

Teodor Danciu's business model prior to the JasperSoft acquisition was to sell the documentation needed by serious users, for $35 I think it was. You can't fault him for not providing extensive free documentation given that business model.

Seth

didin19
06-21-2005, 11:07 PM
My little experience about Birt and Jasper

Birt:
Pro
The 'html like ' report editor is pleasant and really easy to use.
Build a report with multiple sources is a child game. Charting is included. Very useful Table widget.

Cons
-Product under construction : lack of documentation, bugs...
-Birt org advice users to not currently use BIRT for big reportings
-Nebulous report viewer (how to embedded it in applications)

Post edited by: didin19, at: 06/22/2005 03:27

didin19
06-21-2005, 11:32 PM
JasperReports
Pro
Full featured, mature report engine (but jr is only that). OpenSource report editors available (ireport ...) and report manager (openreports). Useful user experiences . Doc available.
Cons
No table mode (i think this should be a mandatory for a Bi reporting tool) .
Excel export with many blank columns & line (due to the point before)

nafise
11-01-2005, 02:37 AM
Hi
if I want to choose between jasper and BIRT I think jasper is the one !

it is more mature and have a greater community ,more satble ,more functionality .

of course jasper is better.