PDA

View Full Version : deploying pentaho.war on JBoss problems

arthur.kalm
09-23-2005, 11:17 AM
Hello everyone,

After following the instructions on how to deploy a WAR here: http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=JavaStudioCreator we had quite a few errors when launching JBoss 4.0.2. This http://www.pentaho.org/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=275&func=view&id=133&catid=14 was not among the errors that we recieved.

The JBoss startup output is in the attached file.

It is possible (most likely) that I am getting these errors because of my limited knowledge of JBoss and thus if anyone who has any links to good howtos (I wasn't able to find any useful ones) it would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Arthur Kalmenson
Web Analyst
Mount Sinai Hospital http://forums.pentaho.org/archived_att/files/pentaho_out.txt

gmoran
09-23-2005, 12:50 PM
Hi Arthur!

I am assuming that you are trying to deploy he generic .war file that is found on Sourceforge.net. If you look into our Advanced Install Guide, we explain there that there are several modifications that you need to make to a generic .war file to get it to deploy under JBoss.

JBoss has its own set of libraries that conflict with many of the libraries in our default .war. We actually have an Ant task as part of our source code release that will builld a special .war for you specifically for JBoss. I will outline here the steps you need to take to get the .war that you are working with to deploy in JBoss.

First, explode your .war file.
Copy the commons-collections.jar out of the pentaho.war/WEB-INF/lib directory; paste it into your JBoss' hibernate.deployer directory (not sure where yours is; should be under the 'deploy' directory)
Copy the eh-cache.jar out of the pentaho.war/WEB-INF/lib directory; paste it into your JBoss' hibernate.deployer directory (not sure where yours is; should be under the 'deploy' directory)
Copy the dom4j-1.6.1.jar out of the pentaho.war/WEB-INF/lib directory; rename it to dom4j.jar and paste it into your JBoss' lib directory (jboss-home/lib). This will overwrite the dom4j.jar already in there.
Delete the following jar files from the pentaho.war/WEB-INF/lib directory:

activation.jar
concurrent.jar
dom4j-1.6.1.jar
hsqldb.jar
jaxen.jar
mail.jar
saaj.jar
jaxrpc.jar
xercesImpl.jar
xml-apis.jar
cglib-2.1.jar
commons-httpclient-2.0.2.jar
commons-logging.jar
log4j-1.2.8.jar
jsp-api.jar
servlet-api.jar
asm.jar
asm-attrs.jar
ehcache-1.1.jar
hibernate3.jar
jta.jar
foEmitter.jar
htmlEmitter.jar
portlet-api-1.0.jar

Zip up your .war, and follow your typical JBoss deployment instructions.

These steps will get you a good war - note that if you want to run our samples, there are several other steps you must follow. The detailed instructions on how to set up our samples can be found in the Advanced Install Guide available on our Sourceforge.net download site.

Also note that if you have not deployed the JBoss portal app into your application server, the portal demos will not work.

There is a pentaho-style.war that is downloadable from Sourceforge.net that contains the UI styles for the platform samples. You should download and install that .war file if you want the samples to look right.

If these steps are overwhelming, you have a couple of other options:

You can download the preconfigured installation from sourceforge.net. That download is JBoss 4.0.2 with the Pentaho platform already predeployed and set up. We've had many responses from our community that the preconfigured installation is a breeze to get up and running, in all of about 10 minutes.

You can download the source code, and build the JBoss specific .war file from an Ant task provided with the distribution. A bit more challenging, especially if you are not familiar with building Java web applications.

Hope this all helps - let me know how it goes..

Best regards,
Gretchen

Post edited by: gmoran, at: 09/23/2005 16:54

arthur.kalm
09-30-2005, 01:39 PM
Hello Gretchen,

Thank you for your detailed and informative response. I didn't really get a chance to work on this the last week and you guys released a new version on the 24th. I ended up going with the new version and deploying the JBoss specific WAR file.

Following the Advanced Install Guide, I came across some files that were not where they should be/were not there at all:

commons-collections.jar - was not in the root of the zip file as the Advanced Install Guide said but in WEB-INF/lib of the exploded WAR file.
dom4j_1.6.1.jar - was not in the root directory either. I could not find this file anywhere and thus downloaded it.
mondrian-ds.xml - I still do not know where this file is :(

After following all the instructions in the Advanced Install Guide I was able to get Pentaho up and running. However, I did not have any pictures on the main page (Note: I did deploy the pentaho_style.war file as well). Furthermore the "A Collection of Samples and Examples" and the "Settings and Services" links gave me a "The connection was refused when attempting to contact localhost:8084" (not we are running the server on port 8084). The "Portal demo" link leads to the following error page:

HTTP Status 404 - /portal

type Status report

message /portal

description The requested resource (/portal) is not available.
Apache Tomcat/5.5.9

What is really strange is that JBoss does not give me any errors when it launches. I attached the output from the JBoss launch.

Note that I did follow _all_ the instruction in the Advanced Install Guide (eg. edited the web.xml files accordingly, etc.) I think it might have something to do with mondrian-ds.xml being missing, not sure though.

Thank you in advance. http://forums.pentaho.org/archived_att/files/jboss_output.txt

gmoran
10-05-2005, 06:46 AM
Hi Arthur,

I apologize.. it was my decision last minute to add a jboss specific package to our latest release, and unfortunately, a couple of build errors caused the commons collections and dom4j jars to be left out.

The mondrian-ds.xml file referenced in the documentation is an optional file and should not affect the samples at all, even if it is missing. We plan to eliminate the reference to that file in the documentaiton in the next go around.

The portal demos will not work if you are installing to a plain JBoss application server that does not have the JBoss portal installed. The JBoss portal is yet another web application that would need to be deployed in your application server in order for our portal demos to work. There is a caveat on this in the Install Guide, with a note that we will be documenting this setup soon.

As for the main page images not showing up, I suspect that it is not a problem with your pentaho_styles.war deployment, but with the base URL that is specified for your application. Are you running the server on your local machine? The URL "http://localhost:8084" tells me that the application server is running on your local machine (same machine as the client) on port 8084. If this is not the case, then you should change the "baseurl" tag's value in the web.xml to point to either the domain or IP address that is the host of the applicaiton server.

Can you send me a screenshot of the main page, so I can rule out the styles war being an issue? Also a look at your web.xml would help.

Thanks so much for being so persistent, and I look forward to you being up and running ASAP - let me know how this goes for you:)

best regards,
Gretchen

Post edited by: gmoran, at: 10/05/2005 10:48

arthur.kalm
10-12-2005, 08:59 AM
(Edit: I had to rename the file because I already uploaded a file called jboss_output.txt)

(Edit: OK, so I can't add the file because it exceeds the limit (it's 72 kb) :()

Hi Gretchen,

As for the main page images not showing up, I suspect that it is not a problem with your
pentaho_styles.war deployment, but with the base URL that is specified for your application. Are you
running the server on your local machine? The URL "http://localhost:8084" tells me that the
application server is running on your local machine (same machine as the client) on port 8084. If
this is not the case, then you should change the "baseurl" tag's value in the web.xml to point to
either the domain or IP address that is the host of the applicaiton server.

:pinch: I forgot to set the URL to the machine name. Well now the images and examples are working fine :)

I am attempting to install JBoss Portal but have ran into problems :(. After following the instructions given on http://docs.jboss.com/jbportal/v2.0Final/user-guide/en/html/installation.html and changed $JBOSS_HOME/server/default/deploy/jboss-portal.sar/conf/hibernate/hibernate.cfg.xml and $JBOSS_HOME/server/default/deploy/portal-forums.ear/portal-forums.sar/conf/hibernate/hibernate.cfg.xml
by adding "org.hibernate.dialect.HypersonicSQL" (to force it to use HypersonicSQL because I was getting errors about the dialect not being set.) Now I get errors like this:

ObjectName: portal.forums:«»service=Hibernate
State: FAILED
Reason: org.hibernate.HibernateException: Dialect class not found: org.hibernate.dialect.HypersonicSQL
I Depend On:
jboss.jca:«»service=DataSourceBinding,name=PortalDS

ObjectName: portal:«»service=Hibernate
State: FAILED
Reason: org.hibernate.HibernateException: Dialect class not found: org.hibernate.dialect.HypersonicSQL
I Depend On:
jboss.jca:«»service=DataSourceBinding,name=PortalDS
Depends On Me:
portal:«»service=Module,type=User
portal:«»service=Module,type=Role
portal:«»service=Module,type=Security
portal:«»service=ServerManager

I attached the output of the JBoss launch as well.

I googled around for where to download these classes but as far as I could see they should be included with Hibernate (I think).

Thank you for all your help, it is greatly appreciated!

Best Regards,

Arthur Kalmenson
Web Analyst
Mount Sinai Hospital

Post edited by: arthur.kalm, at: 10/12/2005 13:02

Post edited by: arthur.kalm, at: 10/12/2005 13:05

arthur.kalm
10-14-2005, 06:45 AM
Here is a file that contains the error messages. I had to cut out some pieces to make it fit the limit. http://forums.pentaho.org/archived_att/files/jboss_output_hibernate_error_short.txt

mbatchelor
10-14-2005, 06:48 AM
Hi Arthur,

Actually, the correct dialect should be:

org.hibernate.dialect.HSQLDialect

Hope this helps,

Marc

arthur.kalm
10-14-2005, 07:27 AM
Thank you Marc! JBoss Portal works fine now :).

However, when I go to Portal Demo, I reach the default JBoss portal page and not the Pentaho one (screenshot here: http://img448.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jbossportal9fp.png).

When JBoss starts up i gets a few errors:

10:53:50,943 ERROR [JDBCExceptionReporter] Table not found: JBP_USER_PREF_SET in statement [select top ? userprefse0_.jbp_id as jbp1_, userprefse0_.jbp_parent_id as jbp2_6_, userprefse0_.name as name6_ from jbp_user_pref_set userprefse0_]
10:53:50,946 WARN [JDBCExceptionReporter] SQL Error: -22, SQLState: S0002
10:53:50,946 ERROR [JDBCExceptionReporter] Table not found: JBP_USER_PREF_SET in statement [select top ? userprefse0_.jbp_id as jbp1_, userprefse0_.jbp_parent_id as jbp2_6_, userprefse0_.name as name6_ from jbp_user_pref_set userprefse0_]
10:54:05,072 ERROR [JDBCExceptionReporter] Table not found: JBP_FORUMS_CATEGORIES in statement [select top ? categoryim0_.jbp_id as jbp1_, categoryim0_.jbp_order as jbp2_11_, categoryim0_.jbp_title as jbp3_11_ from jbp_forums_categories categoryim0_]
10:54:05,074 WARN [JDBCExceptionReporter] SQL Error: -22, SQLState: S0002
10:54:05,074 ERROR [JDBCExceptionReporter] Table not found: JBP_FORUMS_CATEGORIES in statement [select top ? categoryim0_.jbp_id as jbp1_, categoryim0_.jbp_order as jbp2_11_, categoryim0_.jbp_title as jbp3_11_ from jbp_forums_categories categoryim0_]

greping for these databases revealed that they exist in: jboss-portal.sar/org/jboss/portal/core/impl/user/UserPrefSet.hbm.xml (for JBP_USER_PREF_SET)
and
portal-forums.ear/portal-forums.sar/org/jboss/portlet/forums/impl/CategoryImpl.hbm.xml (for JBP_FORUMS_CATEGORIES)

Would these affect the Pentaho Portal Demo?

Thank you for all your help!

Best Regards,

Arthur Kalmenson
Web Analyst
Mount Sinai Hospital

jdixon
10-14-2005, 11:08 AM
Hi Arthur,

You are seeing the default JBoss Portal layout and theme.

1) First you need to make sure that the pentaho style and portal layout wars are deployed into JBoss (pentaho-style.war and pentaho-portal-layout.war)

Then you need to change the JBoss Portal configuration to use our layout and theme

2) You need to copy jboss-portal.sar/portal-server.war/login.jsp from our Pre-Configured Installation and drop it at the same location in your JBoss installation

3) The JBoss Portal default portal definition was altered to remove the default demo portlets and to use the Pentaho layout

2) You need to copy jboss-portal.sar/portal-core.war/WEB-INF/default-portal.xml from our Pre-Configured Installation and drop it at the same location in your JBoss installation

James Dixon

arthur.kalm
10-14-2005, 12:23 PM
Hi James,

Thank you so much for your help. I followed your instructions but I got a null pointer exception when trying to view the page (man I hate those :P).

(A note for those following this thread and having similar difficulties: pentaho-portal-layout.war is found in the Pre-Configured Installation. You can find this file, in the $JBOSS_HOME/server/default/deploy directory. The other two files that James mentioned can be found in the this directory as well).

Here is what the page says:

HTTP Status 500 -

type Exception report

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

javax.servlet.ServletException
org.jboss.portal.server.servlet.AbstractMainServlet.invoke(AbstractMainServlet.java:95)
org.jboss.portal.server.servlet.AbstractMainServlet.doGet(AbstractMainServlet.java:71)
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:697)
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:810)
org.jboss.portal.core.servlet.TransactionFilter.doFilter(TransactionFilter.java:79)
org.jboss.web.tomcat.filters.ReplyHeaderFilter.doFilter(ReplyHeaderFilter.java:81)

root cause

java.lang.NullPointerException
org.jboss.portal.core.theme.strategy.StrategyFactory.createStrategyContext(StrategyFactory.java:55)
org.jboss.portal.core.invocation.StrategyInterceptor.invoke(StrategyInterceptor.java:141)
org.jboss.portal.server.impl.invocation.InvocationImpl.invokeNext(InvocationImpl.java:213)
org.jboss.portal.core.invocation.ViewInterceptor.invoke(ViewInterceptor.java:118)
org.jboss.portal.server.impl.invocation.InvocationImpl.invokeNext(InvocationImpl.java:213)
org.jboss.portal.server.invocation.portal.TargetInterceptor.invoke(TargetInterceptor.java:153)
org.jboss.portal.core.invocation.ContentTypeInterceptor.invoke(ContentTypeInterceptor.java:117)
org.jboss.portal.core.invocation.UserContextInterceptor.invoke(UserContextInterceptor.java:92)
org.jboss.portal.server.impl.invocation.InvocationImpl.invokeNext(InvocationImpl.java:238)
org.jboss.portal.server.PortalServer.invoke(PortalServer.java:186)
org.jboss.portal.server.servlet.AbstractMainServlet.invoke(AbstractMainServlet.java:78)
org.jboss.portal.server.servlet.AbstractMainServlet.doGet(AbstractMainServlet.java:71)
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:697)
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:810)
org.jboss.portal.core.servlet.TransactionFilter.doFilter(TransactionFilter.java:79)
org.jboss.web.tomcat.filters.ReplyHeaderFilter.doFilter(ReplyHeaderFilter.java:81)

note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache Tomcat/5.5.9 logs.
Apache Tomcat/5.5.9

Here is a trace from the command line:

16:05:41,213 ERROR [CoreServlet] Exception caught in processing servlet
at org.jboss.portal.core.theme.strategy.StrategyFactory.createStrategyContext(StrategyFactory.java:55)
at org.jboss.portal.core.invocation.StrategyInterceptor.invoke(StrategyInterceptor.java:141)
at org.jboss.portal.server.impl.invocation.InvocationImpl.invokeNext(InvocationImpl.java:213)
at org.jboss.portal.core.invocation.ViewInterceptor.invoke(ViewInterceptor.java:118)
at org.jboss.portal.server.impl.invocation.InvocationImpl.invokeNext(InvocationImpl.java:213)
at org.jboss.portal.server.invocation.portal.TargetInterceptor.invoke(TargetInterceptor.java:153)
at org.jboss.portal.core.invocation.ContentTypeInterceptor.invoke(ContentTypeInterceptor.java:117)
at org.jboss.portal.core.invocation.UserContextInterceptor.invoke(UserContextInterceptor.java:92)
at org.jboss.portal.server.impl.invocation.InvocationImpl.invokeNext(InvocationImpl.java:238)
at org.jboss.portal.server.PortalServer.invoke(PortalServer.java:186)
at org.jboss.portal.server.servlet.AbstractMainServlet.invoke(AbstractMainServlet.java:78)
at org.jboss.portal.server.servlet.AbstractMainServlet.doGet(AbstractMainServlet.java:71)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:697)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:810)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
at org.jboss.portal.core.servlet.TransactionFilter.doFilter(TransactionFilter.java:79)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:202)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
at org.jboss.web.tomcat.filters.ReplyHeaderFilter.doFilter(ReplyHeaderFilter.java:81)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:202)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:178)
at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.CustomPrincipalValve.invoke(CustomPrincipalValve.java:39)
at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.SecurityAssociationValve.invoke(SecurityAssociationValve.java:153)
at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:407)
at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.JaccContextValve.invoke(JaccContextValve.java:59)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:126)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:105)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:107)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:856)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java:744)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.MasterSlaveWorkerThread.run(MasterSlaveWorkerThread.java:112)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
16:05:41,323 ERROR [[PortalServlet]] Servlet.service() for servlet PortalServlet threw exception
at org.jboss.portal.core.theme.strategy.StrategyFactory.createStrategyContext(StrategyFactory.java:55)
at org.jboss.portal.core.invocation.StrategyInterceptor.invoke(StrategyInterceptor.java:141)
at org.jboss.portal.core.invocation.ViewInterceptor.invoke(ViewInterceptor.java:118)
at org.jboss.portal.server.invocation.portal.TargetInterceptor.invoke(TargetInterceptor.java:153)
at org.jboss.portal.core.invocation.ContentTypeInterceptor.invoke(ContentTypeInterceptor.java:117)
at org.jboss.portal.core.invocation.UserContextInterceptor.invoke(UserContextInterceptor.java:92)
at org.jboss.portal.server.impl.invocation.InvocationImpl.invokeNext(InvocationImpl.java:238)
at org.jboss.portal.server.PortalServer.invoke(PortalServer.java:186)
at org.jboss.portal.server.servlet.AbstractMainServlet.invoke(AbstractMainServlet.java:78)
at org.jboss.portal.server.servlet.AbstractMainServlet.doGet(AbstractMainServlet.java:71)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:697)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:810)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)
at org.jboss.portal.core.servlet.TransactionFilter.doFilter(TransactionFilter.java:79)
at org.jboss.web.tomcat.filters.ReplyHeaderFilter.doFilter(ReplyHeaderFilter.java:81)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:178)
at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.CustomPrincipalValve.invoke(CustomPrincipalValve.java:39)
at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.SecurityAssociationValve.invoke(SecurityAssociationValve.java:153)
at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:407)
at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.JaccContextValve.invoke(JaccContextValve.java:59)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:126)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:105)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:107)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:856)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java:744)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.MasterSlaveWorkerThread.run(MasterSlaveWorkerThread.java:112)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

Thank you so much for all your help!

Best Regards,

Arthur Kalmenson
Web Analyst
Mount Sinai Hospital

jdixon
10-24-2005, 11:44 AM
These kinds of errors come from the Portal's layout and theme layer. You will get this error if the layout specified in the JBoss Portal definition cannot be found.

The layout and theme strategy to use are identified in:
JBOSS_HOME/server/default/deploy/jboss-portal.sar/portal-core.war/WEB-INF/default-portal.xml

e.g.

org.jboss.portal.property.layout
Pentaho

If the value specified here does not map to a defined layout you will get the error you are seeing.

There needs to be a web application that provides the layout. The Pentaho layout is in JBOSS_HOME/server/default/deploy/pentaho-portal-layout.war

and the XML files that define the layout to the portal are
JBOSS_HOME/server/default/deploy/pentaho-portal-layout.war/portal-layouts.xml
and
JBOSS_HOME/server/default/deploy/pentaho-portal-layout.war/portal-themes.xml

I hope this gives you enough information to fix this problem.

Post edited by: dmoran, at: 10/26/2005 10:39