PDA

View Full Version : Birt & JNDI

gwessels
11-09-2005, 03:10 AM
Hello,

How does one use a JNDI data source in a BIRT report?

I want ONE data source (DB connection) that ALL my BIRT reports should use.

Thank you,

mbatchelor
11-09-2005, 10:48 AM
Hi there,

To do this, you'll have to have a plugin that extends BIRT's ODA datasource. I made a run at this, and found that many of the internals of BIRT needed to be amended to allow overriding in the right spots. I created BUG reports on their site to point out the places in their code that needed fixing.

Bottom line - They said that they'd fix these classes. I don't know when they'll fix the issues (or if they already have). At some point in the near future, when we're not scrambling toward our RC-1 release, I'll be able to address this, and release a BIRT extension-point that provides this capability.

Hope this helps,

Marc Batchelor

gwessels
11-09-2005, 11:09 PM
:ohmy: So what you're saying is that we're buggered until then?

mbatchelor
11-10-2005, 05:59 AM
Are you a developer? If so, if you could fill out and submit a contributors agreement, I'd be happy to send you the code for it that I have. You could try it out in your current BIRT and see how it goes. I may be able to help troubleshoot problems you may come across as well.

Finally, you could contribute any changes you make back to the project.

Take care,

Marc

gwessels
11-14-2005, 01:10 AM
Hi Marc,

Yes, I am a developer (Delphi though!). What do I need to do exactly to get the source?

I'm sure I'd be able to figure it out if I have some source code to look at. As far as contributing is concerned, I'm afraid it'll take a while for me to get on par with Java...

At this stage ANY help is appreciated.

Please provide me with the contributor's agreement so that I can fill it in.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Gerhard

jdixon
11-14-2005, 05:06 AM
Gerhard,

If you are able to use either the JFreeReport or JasperReport reporting engines they both support JNDI data sources.

James Dixon

gwessels
11-14-2005, 11:51 PM
Hello James,

Thank you for the suggestion of using the JFreeReport or JasperReport reporting engines. However, over the past 2 years our company has been developing a data warehousing product and throughout we have looked at various reporting engines and have finally decided on BIRT. Even with GLARING omissions in version 1 of the engine like no JNDI support and no dynamic filters (which Pentaho have thankfully addressed!), the product appeared just that little more professional. Their road map also looks promising especially with a company like Pentaho backing it. We also like their report designer – it works great!(it was very familiar especially after having evaluated Microsoft's SQL Server Reporting Services) Version 2 will hopefully address the shortcomings I mentioned. We have already created several BIRT reports for our product which we don't want to redo on JasperReport or JfreeReport.

We have two options of getting around the JNDI issue. The first is to use the code Marc Batchelor has written (once he's provided me with the contributor's agreement and code) and the second is to write a little application that modifies the .rptdesign files with the correct data source parameters. The latter is the lesser preferred option but if that is what it will take to get to market, that is what we'll do. Thankfully this is only temporary. We know and trust that both BIRT and Pentaho will mature quickly into robust and fully featured products.

Best regards,

Gerhard Wessels

gwessels
11-22-2005, 02:08 AM
Marc,

I am still waiting for you to get back to me regarding the contributor's agreement that I have to fill out in order to get the source of the ODA plugin you did to get BIRT to work off JNDI.

Please email me the agreement so that I can complete it.

Thanks you,

Gerhard

jbenso
12-09-2005, 08:17 AM
I'm trying to work through this same issue and was going to try this. First expose the data set through a Pentaho 'serviceAction' to generate a SOAP response and then use it as an XML Data Source (which BIRT 2.0 M3 permits) and build the Data Set with XPath expressions. Might seem like an extra step, but it would allow report generation by collaborators outside of the JBoss JNDI realm via the web service; as well as enabling an ability for greater control over the view of the data source presented for collaboration. A lack of tool integration morphs into a consistent application of a Service Implemented Architecture. I was unable to make this go in my first attempt, but am interested if this seems reasonable and any improvements to/implementations of this suggestion.