PDA

View Full Version : chart error on demo 1.0

tonito
12-01-2005, 05:54 AM
UPPPS installing the new release .. ther is an error on asking a chart from JPivot
My system is on french

javax.servlet.ServletException: org.jfree.chart.axis.CategoryAxis.setMaxCategoryLabelWidthRatio(F)V
at org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.doHandlePageException(PageContextImpl.java:848)
at org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.handlePageException(PageContextImpl.java:781)
at org.apache.jsp.jsp.Pivot_jsp._jspService(org.apache.jsp.jsp.Pivot_jsp:770)
at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:810)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:322)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:314)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:264)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:810)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
at com.tonbeller.wcf.controller.RequestFilter$MyHandler.normalRequest(RequestFilter.java:139)
at com.tonbeller.wcf.controller.RequestSynchronizer.handleRequest(RequestSynchronizer.java:127)
at com.tonbeller.wcf.controller.RequestFilter.doFilter(RequestFilter.java:243)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:202)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
at org.jboss.web.tomcat.filters.ReplyHeaderFilter.doFilter(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:202)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:178)
at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.CustomPrincipalValve.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.SecurityAssociationValve.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.JaccContextValve.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:126)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:105)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:107)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:856)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java:744)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.MasterSlaveWorkerThread.run(MasterSlaveWorkerThread.java:112)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

mbatchelor
12-01-2005, 06:52 AM
Hi there,

I'm afraid that this is a known error. JPivot has a dependency on older version of JFreeChart (jfreechart-0.9.21.jar) than we currently ship with the platform (jfreechart-1.0.0-rc1.jar).

We have an open JIRA case (ANALYSIS-49) that covers this issue.

Take care,

Marc

Luuzz
12-05-2005, 04:36 AM
Hi,
What can we do know ? Do we just have to change the jfreechart jar api used ?
What about the new distribution ? does it solve the issue ?
Best Regards,
Alassane

gmoran
12-05-2005, 10:32 AM
Hi there,

We won't be able to fit the fix for this into our GA release of the platform. If you possess the resources and can fix the conflict in JPivot, then we would be very happy to help you get it contributed into the JPivot codeline.

Not sure when the priority will get bumped up for this issue, but soon we hope to have a way for you to vote for your favorite bugs - put this one on your list :)

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
Gretchen

netname
12-05-2005, 04:58 PM
Hi Gretchen,

I think one of the tenets of Open Source is to not ship until the product is right. I think that delaying the relase in order to have a solid version 1.0 would be in the best interest of preserving/investing in Pentaho's reputation. If not, at least disable the buggy funcionality. By leaving it you will have a lot of people investing time in an already known issue and posting a lot here. Just my 2 cents. BTW, I think Pentaho is Great and a larger community will be created based on the success of release 1.0 !!

jdixon
12-06-2005, 08:26 AM
One of the strong tenents of Open Source is to 'release early and release often'. We have not yet released version 1.0. The latest release is V1.0 RC1 which is a 'release candidate'. We released this to the community to gather their feedback and to give people the opportunity to test it and report any issues they find - such as this one. The chart buttons should have been hidden on the analysis pages, thanks for reporting this, we will make sure they are hidden for the V1.0 GA release.

We have an experienced product marketing, product management, project management, and software engineering team who make decisions about the requirements for each release. We will work with the JFree and JPivot teams to resolve this issue and release it when it is ready. Until then we will hide the chart buttons.

James Dixon

netname
12-09-2005, 12:21 PM
Thanks for you response.

I like the project a lot and the excellent support that we get on the Forums. I do hope that a large community will grow soon around Pentaho assuring that the project will evolve broader and faster.

I am sure your team is evaluating the alternatives. My suggestion would be to consider what other projects do: They release a production ready version without it being a point release. That way you give the go ahead to early adapters and get the needed feedback. And you avoid releasing a trimmed down point release. A point release will always be a much more publicized event. I think Pentaho would get a bigger "Bang" if it was released with all the bells and whistles: charts, pivots, a sample of the Case Study (the one described in Creating Pentaho Solutions). Being, as it seems, that you would be able to have all that in a few weeks I would vote to pospone the release and get that done....As I said, my 2 cents.

Regards,

Alberto