PDA

View Full Version : Graphing OLAP output

freshasp
12-14-2005, 06:47 AM
I don't know whether I am being obtuse or attempting something that Pentaho isn't yet able to do....

I have Pivot reporting working against a Mondrian OLAP cube, which in turn is being sourced from my MySQL database. Great.

I would now like to do graphing, dashboards and fixed reporting on the OLAP cube. There's an example of fixed reporting in the samples, although would be wonderful if it were BIRT... does BIRT work with Mondrian?

However, I can't seem to get from the charting examples to a sample chart running off the OLAP data. I presume there isn't any documentation (yet) on how to do this? So... can anyone give me some pointers as to how I could set this up? For example, how could I get the current bar chart example to query my OLAP cube?

Thanks in advance!

Paul

Post edited by: freshasp, at: 12/14/2005 11:18

kcruzada
12-16-2005, 08:32 AM
BIRT doesn't currently support Mondrian datasources. Charting using JPivot is working in our 1.0.0 RC 2 which was posted early this week.

In the 1.0.0. RC 2, the sample/analysis report does not have the chart button enabled. Once it is enabled, you can choose from several chart types and set various properties. See image attached.

To enable it, you will need to modify the (sample/analysis/query1.xaction) and add in the following to component definition section.

<chart/>
<chart-conf/>
<spacer/>

Here is what it should look like based on our sample (query1.xaction):

<component-definition>
<title>Drill Down to Pivot Table</title>
<viewer>Pivot</viewer>
<model>test/analysis/SampleData.mondrian.xml</model>
<!-- connection>jdbc/SampleData</connection -->
<connection>SampleData</connection>
<!-- query>default</query -->
<query><![CDATA[
with member [Measures].[Variance Percent] as '([Measures].[Variance] / [Measures].[Budget])', format_string = IIf(((([Measures].[Variance] / [Measures].[Budget]) * 100.0) > 2.0), "|#.00%|style='green'", IIf(((([Measures].[Variance] / [Measures].[Budget]) * 100.0) < 0.0), "|#.00%|style='red'", "#.00%"))
select NON EMPTY {[Measures].[Actual], [Measures].[Budget], [Measures].[Variance], [Measures].[Variance Percent]} ON columns,
NON EMPTY {([Region].[All Regions]{region}, [Department].[All Departments]{department}, [Positions].[All Positions]{position})} ON rows
from [Quadrant Analysis]
]]></query>
<options>
<personal/>
<cube-nav/>
<mdx-edit/>
<sort-conf/>
<spacer/>
<level-style/>
<hide-spans/>
<properties/>
<non-empty/>
<swap-axes/>
<spacer/>
<drill-member/>
<drill-position/>
<drill-replace/>
<drill-thru/>
<spacer/>
<chart/>
<chart-conf/>
<spacer/>
<print-conf/>
<print-pdf/>
<spacer/>
<excel/>

</options>
</component-definition>

Post edited by: kcruzada, at: 12/16/2005 12:46

kcruzada
12-16-2005, 08:48 AM
Here is the screenshot http://forums.pentaho.org/archived_att/files/analysis_w_chart.zip

Post edited by: kcruzada, at: 12/16/2005 16:30

freshasp
12-19-2005, 03:21 AM
Many thanks for your help Kurtis - this worked perfectly! :)

I don't suppose you know how to change the default chart image size without having to recompile JFreechart?

Paul

kcruzada
12-19-2005, 07:56 AM
There is a couple different ways to do this. In the JPivot component, it has options to set the chart size. Also, the default size can be specified in the chart.xml (solution-repository/test/charts). Another option, which I haven't attempted yet) is set the size in an action or url.

freshasp
12-19-2005, 08:49 AM
Thanks Kurtis - unfortunately the only option that seems to work is the JPivot graphing options panel. However, I am keen to hide this from my business users as it's rather beyond them.... :blush:

chart.xml seems to be spectacularly ignored by Pentaho. I change settings in the solution-repository/test/charts/chart.xml but it doesn't seem to have any effect...

I tried moving the height and width tags and settings into the .xaction file, but again, they don't seem to be picked up. I'm probably not putting them in the correct place though. Any ideas where this should go in the .xaction file?

Thanks again.
Paul

Post edited by: freshasp, at: 12/19/2005 12:50

adeshazor
01-25-2006, 12:27 PM
Paul,

Sorry for the delayed response. You probably have figured it out by now; however, the chart.xml does not having any impact on the charting in JPivot. As you stated in your post, the only option for changing the settings for the chart in JPivot is the graphing options.

Hope that helps.

Anthony