PDA

View Full Version : ETL Tool

dinesh
12-15-2005, 10:00 PM
Hi,

As per my knowledge, Pentaho missing ETL tool. Is there any plan to add any ETL tool in future.

Regards,
Dinesh

ngoodman
12-15-2005, 11:31 PM
Dinesh,

You are correct, in some sense. Pentaho I believe provides a simple ETL framework for retrieving data from remote sources, but not a full ETL tool in the "do interesting data warehouse and data transformation" sense.

There are other open source ETL projects out there... most lack any sort of actual 'product' sense in my view of the world. They are mostly a set of meta driven batch data movers with some "ETL Product" characteristics.

If others have a different opinion on these open source ETL projects, I'm quite happy to be proven otherwise. I've just not been that impressed....

Nick

jdixon
12-15-2005, 11:33 PM
We have plans to integrate with several ETL tools in the future. We are considering Enhydra Octopus, Babeldoc, and Kettle and others.

James

jdixon
12-15-2005, 11:50 PM
To expand a little further our aim is to support multiple ETL tools not so that you can choose either one or another exclusively (as you might do with a report engine) but so that for anyone part of an entire ETL process you can use the tool that works best. For instance Enhydra Shark is deisgned for RDBMS sources and Babeldoc is designed more for document-based sources. If all your data is from a single source things are easy, but the real world ain't like that.

By providing multiple tools and integrating them so that a common API is available to schedule, sequence, and chain them together they become the sum of their parts. Pentaho also adds web services, external workflow orchestration, auditing etc making much more of a whole product for our community to work with.

James

pytdk
12-16-2005, 08:42 AM
Hey Dinesh

In one of the other discussions here on Pentaho someone suggested Kettle (www.kettle.be). After af short testdrive I think it looks very promising and the documentation looks ok.

Peter

tomislav
12-21-2005, 12:57 AM
Peter Thomsen wrote:

Hey Dinesh

In one of the other discussions here on Pentaho someone suggested Kettle (www.kettle.be). After af short testdrive I think it looks very promising and the documentation looks ok.

Peter

I agree with Peter, although I've barely scratched the surface of what it claims it can do. Kettle seems like a good (a bit rough arround the edges, true) starting point, if any specific ETL tool should be chosen as a strategic pentaho module.