PDA

View Full Version : Is Pentaho my answer?

smueller72
12-16-2005, 07:42 PM
Hi all - I've been sitting on the Pentaho 'sidelines' for some time now just waiting for the right time to 'get in the game'. With this latest release, I think I'm ready to play. I emphasize 'I think'. I'm looking for some insight from the community as to whether or not Pentaho is now or will at some point be the answer to a couple challenges/opportunities my company and my clients face.

Specifically,

I have an immediate need to replace an extremely aged installation of Seagate Info(some may be familiar with this product and it's history?). Seagate Info was originally chosen for a few reasons:
1. Crystal Reports was the reporting/design engine and we had experience with Crystal which eased the report writing process.
2. The reports could be delivered via the web.
3. Most importantly, there was user-based report row and column security built into Seagate Info. This allowed us to control what a user could view on a single report instance based upon their login information. To reemphasize - this is critical.

another bit of background info is that the client's data warehouse is currently in MS SQL.

So my question is - will Pentaho allow us to replace Seagate Info based upon the above requirements?

I'll leave my questions at that and, depending on the answers, I'm sure to have many follow ups.

Thanks in advance for any response/insight.

Best Regards,
Steve Mueller
President
Marathon Technology Services, LLC.

Post edited by: smueller72, at: 12/16/2005 23:43

jdixon
12-21-2005, 01:48 PM
We can do row-based security with the current version of Pentaho. We are aware that column-based security is a requirement for many people and so are prioritizing at accordingly. In what time frame are you looking at implementing a replacement?

We are familiar with Seagate Info although I have not heard any mention of it for a long time.

James

smueller72
12-22-2005, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the info. Row security is certainly more important for my needs. Is there an 'out of the box' login security that controls this row security or how does it work? I'm looking to move from SI ASAP but have yet to find a viable alternative that fit within my client's budget. That's what led me to Pentaho. However, I do have to say I have struggled mightily to get it up and running to just take a look at it. I've started and stopped several times. I have several years experience with all the technologies involved so I'm not sure where the problem lies but I would suggest simplifying/streamlining the install process. I would guess that if I'm having these problems there are many others having the same experience and just giving up. Take it for what it's worth.

I would love to be a case study for a Seagate/Crystal Info to Pentaho migration but I do need to make sure it's going to meet all the client's needs before jumping in.

I haven't tackled the GA release yet but I'll give it a shot as soon as I get a chance and provide any feedback I may have.

Thanks for your response.

Post edited by: smueller72, at: 12/22/2005 18:23

jdixon
12-22-2005, 07:05 PM
Hi Steve,

I'm sorry you are having problems getting Pentaho up and running. Which deployment were you trying? For most people the demo is an unzip and run excercise.

We will be increasing the security options in upcoming releases. In the 1.0 version that is available now you can defined business rules that are executed as each user logs in. You can use the users login name to run multiple SQL queries, call web services, run Javascript, or make xQuery calls against XML documents. The results of these rules are stored for each user and can be used on each report or dashboard to ensure that the data is restricted to the filters defined by the rules. If you think this will provide the functionality that you need we have further documentation we can send you.

James

smueller72
12-27-2005, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the follow-up. I will give the demo a try when I get some time this week. It sounds like the user security as you explained it would work but I would love to be able to take a look at any additional documentation you may available. You can email it to me at smueller at marathontechservices.com or attach it to a reply. Whichever works for you. Thanks in advance.

freshasp
12-30-2005, 09:16 AM
If this documentation is over and above what's currently downloadable, I would very much like to take a look too. Is there any chance you can post it on this forum or add it to the public docs?

Thanks,
Paul

freshasp
12-30-2005, 09:16 AM
If this documentation is over and above what's currently downloadable, I would very much like to take a look too. Is there any chance you can post it on this forum or add it to the public docs?

Thanks,
Paul

smueller72
12-30-2005, 05:00 PM
Unfortunately I'm still having install issues. Probably my ignorance but still frustrating. I downloaded the demo and have it installed on a White Box Linux box. Pentaho is now installed at /opt/pentaho-demo. I downloaded and installed the Java JDK and it is installed by default at /opt/SUNWappserver.

When I run the start-pentaho.sh I get a 'This script is a placeholder for the /usr/bin/java master link required ......'

and then I get seven : command not found lines
followed by
./run.sh: ./run.conf: line 52: syntax error: unexpected end of file
run.sh: Missing file /lib/tools.jar
run.sh: unexpected results may occur. Make sure JAVA_HOME points to a JDK and not a JRE

I did an export JAVA_HOME:/opt/SUNWappserver/jdk and that seemed to go ok so I'm assuming it is point to the right place but it appears that I'm missing other components? Any help would be appreciated. I would sure like to get down to writing some reports and taking this for a test drive.

smueller72
12-30-2005, 06:22 PM
Ok - I 'broke' down and installed on my Window laptop. The demo installed easy enough. Still would appreciate input on a *nix box as that is where, if Pentaho is my answer, where it will ultimately 'live'.

Anyhow, off I go to figure out how to do some secure reporting.

jdixon
01-02-2006, 07:37 AM
Sorry that you had problems on your Unix box. We have tested our installation on SUSE, Red Hat and OS/X. It sounds like the JDK is not installed or configured quite right.

I will email you the document on security filtering.

James

smueller72
01-17-2006, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the documentation James. I briefly reviewed them but have not had a chance to do anything hands-on with it. Now, and very happily, I see the very promising release of the JFreeReport design wizard and rebranding of the product itself. This is great news indeed and I would expect this to catapult Pentaho to the head of the reporting/bi 'class'. Within the announcement of the partnership, I noticed mention of the Pentaho Reporting Server which will move the reports to the web and securely 'burst' them to users. There is also mention of the ability to integrate with a user's portal or other web app.

A couple questions related to this great news:

1. Would I be wasting my time by going through the docs you previously sent as it appears that the security that I'm looking for may be available in the Reporting Server?
2. Is there any additional information regarding the features of the Reporting Server available on the site or somewhere else?
3. Related to portal integration - any plans for 'hooks' to Mambo/Joomla? It may be too early to think about this but some level of integration between these products would be ideal.(btw - nice choice of Mambo for the Pentaho site).

It appears that Pentaho is following a very similar path as SugarCRM was a couple years back in the Open Source CRM space. I enjoyed watching the 'ride' back then and liked the roadmap and strength of the company so much that my company is now a partner with SugarCRM. Here's hoping that Pentaho continues the gaining momentum and heads down the same path. Thanks in advance for your answers to the above.

Regards,
Steve Mueller
President
Marathon Technology Services, LLC.
:professional, open source application consulting and services

jdixon
01-18-2006, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the feedback Steve,

1. The security being added is in addition to the existing security so the documents are worth reading anyway.

2. We currently do not have a public fact-sheet about the Reporting Server. Thanks for the suggestion we will create one.

3. We have had several requests for PHP integration for Pentaho. We will look into this when we get the chance. If there is any PHP developers who have used a PHP-Java bridge we welcome any advise.

James Dixon

adeshazor
01-25-2006, 12:14 PM
The initial documentation on the security filter is available to registered users at http://www.pentaho.org/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=149&func=fileinfo&id=1

Anthony

smueller72
01-26-2006, 08:38 PM
James Dixon wrote:

Thanks for the feedback Steve,

1. The security being added is in addition to the existing security so the documents are worth reading anyway.

2. We currently do not have a public fact-sheet about the Reporting Server. Thanks for the suggestion we will create one.

3. We have had several requests for PHP integration for Pentaho. We will look into this when we get the chance. If there is any PHP developers who have used a PHP-Java bridge we welcome any advise.

James Dixon

Thanks James. I have my developers doing a bit of legwork on the Mambo/Joomla to Pentaho/Java link. Any update on the availabilty of the eta of the Reporting Server?

adeshazor
01-27-2006, 09:54 AM
We are targeting the release of the reporting server for later this year. At this point, the actual date has not been determined; however, I believe it will be in the first half of the year. Stay tuned.

Anthony

dubuila
01-31-2006, 07:01 AM
Hello,

Woul it be possible to have some help on a kubuntu one ?

The demo give me back :

sh start-pentaho.sh
: command not found
: command not found
: command not found:
./run.conf: line 52: syntax error: unexpected end of file
run.sh: Missing file: usr/lib/j2se/1.4/lib/tools.jar

%%%
% The tools.jar is present.
% -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5082976 2005-09-19 22:44 tools.jar
%%%

run.sh: Unexpected results may occur. Make sure JAVA_HOME points to a JDK and not a JRE.
=========================================================================

JBoss Bootstrap Environment

JBOSS_HOME: /dos/kubuntu/Pentaho/pentaho-demo/jboss

JAVA: usr/lib/j2se/1.4/bin/java

JAVA_OPTS: -Dprogram.name=run.sh

CLASSPATH: /dos/kubuntu/Pentaho/pentaho-demo/jboss/bin/run.jar:usr/lib/j2se/1.4/lib/tools.jar

=========================================================================

./run.sh: line 174: usr/lib/j2se/1.4/bin/java: No such file or directory

%%%
% The java is present.
% -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5082976 2005-09-19 22:44 tools.jar
%%%

I have the :

sudo apt-cache policy j2sdk1.4
j2sdk1.4:
Installed: 1.4.2.02-1ubuntu3
Candidate: 1.4.2.02-1ubuntu3
Version table:
*** 1.4.2.02-1ubuntu3 0
500 http://lu.archive.ubuntu.com breezy/multiverse Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

I also get some trouble with users rigths on the different .sh.

A last one is there a kubuntu/debian configuration place on line ?

Thanks in advance,
Laurent.

fridrik
01-31-2006, 08:01 AM
run a "dos2unix" against the sh files. they are full of windows chars, unknown to the bash

something like "dos2unix start-pentaho.sh"
mind: start-pentaho.sh starts other 2 sh for the data and for jboss. clean that files

dubuila
02-07-2006, 06:03 AM
Hi,

Thanks.

I pass the .rpm into a .deb with alien.

I used dos2unix on all the .sh and added the +x right for all.

At this point the server started.

Unfortunatly I alerady have a apache2 running on the 8080 port.

I attempted to stop and there some memery errors occurs :

Error occurred during initialization of VM
Could not reserve enough space for object heap

Even with the stop_pentaho the probelm stay on.

Have you and idea where to investigate ? I don't see any corresponding process using ps.

Cheers,
Laurent.

mbatchelor
02-07-2006, 07:10 AM
You may need to use ps -ef to see the running process that you need to kill.

It may seem obvious, but you can't run two applications that are listening on port 8080. So, in the advanced installation guide you'll find information about changing the port of the Pentaho server.

Take care,

Marc

dubuila
02-07-2006, 08:44 AM
Hi,

Thanks.

I will attempt to rebuild all from the rpm next day and track what happened id the 8080 is used too on a pache2 config.

On the Windows demo there all work out-of -the-box...but I like difficulties too.

Cheers,
Laurent.