PDA

View Full Version : Pentaho under JBoss 4.0.3

freshasp
12-29-2005, 09:06 AM
I am trying to deploy Pentaho 1.0 on JBoss 4.0.3 with a JBoss Portal 2.2 installed on it.

I have followed the instructions for 4.0.2 in the Advanced Install Guide but get the following error message in my log:

16:48:51,328 ERROR [[/pentaho]] Exception sending context initialized event to
istener instance of class org.pentaho.system.SolutionContextListener
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/jaxen/JaxenException
at org.dom4j.DocumentFactory.createXPath(DocumentFactory.java:230)
at org.dom4j.tree.AbstractNode.createXPath(AbstractNode.java:207)
at org.dom4j.tree.AbstractNode.selectSingleNode(AbstractNode.java:183)
at org.pentaho.system.SystemSettings.getSystemSetting(Unknown Source)
at org.pentaho.system.SystemSettings.getSystemSetting(Unknown Source)
at org.pentaho.system.PentahoSystem.getSystemSetting(Unknown Source)
at org.pentaho.audit.AuditEntry.(Unknown Source)
at org.pentaho.audit.AuditHelper.audit(Unknown Source)
at org.pentaho.session.BaseSession.(Unknown Source)
at org.pentaho.session.StandaloneSession.(Unknown Source)
at org.pentaho.session.StandaloneSession.(Unknown Source)
at org.pentaho.system.PentahoSystem.init(Unknown Source)
at org.pentaho.system.SolutionContextListener.contextInitialized(Unknow
Source)

Has anyone got Pentaho working under this setup? Or should I go back to 4.0.2 and Portal 2.0? (JBoss has made some changes from 2.0 to 2.2 so I was hoping to sidestep future upgrade issues).

The Advanced Install Guide mentions that "instructions for setting up the Pentaho platform with a pre-existing JBoss Portal are coming soon". Hope it's very soon! :)

Thanks for you help,
Paul

gmoran
01-05-2006, 08:42 AM
Hi Paul,

We are in the process of migrating the platform to Portal 2.2. A couple of our community members are working on it too. Thanks for jumping in!

I can tell you where we've gotten to so far, and if you move forward and finish it before we do, we'd love the contribution!

We started off with the jboss-portal-2.2.0-bundled.zip. You will also want to download the latest version of the platform demo - pentaho_demo-1.0.0.0.zip, as of this post.
You won't need to change any of the hibernate jars that were necessary with the JBoss 4.0.2/Portal 2.0 bundle. Hibernate should work fine without any modifications.
Copy jaxen.jar from <pentaho-demo>/lib directory to <portal-bundle>/lib directory.
Copy dom4j.jar from <pentaho-demo>/lib directory to <portal-bundle>/lib directory, replacing the dom4j library that is already there.
Copy over the *-ds.xml files necessary for the platform databases - they can be found in the <pentaho-demo>/server/default/deploy directory. The files are PentahoHibernate-ds.xml, shark-ds.xml, quartz-ds.xml, and sampledata-ds.xml.
Copy over the pentaho-style.war directory from <pentaho-demo>/server/default/deploy directory.
Copy over the pentaho.war directory from <pentaho-demo>/server/default/deploy directory.
Portal 2.2 requires a new configuration file in the pentaho.war/WEB-INF directory named pentaho-objects.xml. We aare in the process of creating this file.

This is where we are - we will have support for Portal 2.2 by our next milestone release, so if you want to hold out, thats good too.

regards,
Gretchen

Post edited by: gmoran, at: 01/05/2006 12:44

leeAmmo
02-02-2006, 07:21 AM
Hi,

I appear to be in exactly the same situation (though not sure about the portal bit). I've discovered that JaxenException is in $JBOSS_HOME/server/[default]/deploy/ejb3.deployer/jaxen-1.1-beta-4.jar, which as the name implies is a beta release.

Did you get any further with it?

freshasp
02-02-2006, 07:39 AM
No I'm afraid I didn't. I gave up and went back to 4.0.2 and Portal 2.0.

Although I am keen on the Pentaho product, JBoss Portal is not so impressive and I found it ridiculously diffcult to configure and use, particularly when you compare it to other open source content management type systems (e.g. Mambo/Jooma). IMHO a Mambo/Joomla component that can front-end for Pentaho reports, charts and dashboards would be a killer-app.

leeAmmo
02-02-2006, 07:45 AM
Hi Gretchen,

Does this mean I have to install JBoss portal too? What does that mean for the config I've already laboured through? Where is it in the docs?

Is portal part of JBoss4.0.3?

It sounds like this issue put Paul (original post) off.

A zillion other questions. Bewildered. Help!

adeshazor
02-02-2006, 08:59 AM
We appreciate the feed back. We are confronting the issue on a couple of fronts.

(1) We will make JBoss easier to configure by providing a preconfigured installs such as our Reporting Server. These will be ready to use "out of the box".

(2) We are working on PHP integration. That would allow integrating Pentaho into any PHP application.

(3) We will improve our documentation for installing Pentaho in different application servers.

(4) We are in the process of upgrading the supported JBoss level to JBoss 4.0.3 SP1 and JBoss Portal 2.2.

Our current 1.0.0 platform does not depend upon JBoss portal. The demo does inlcude the JBoss portal to showcase Pentaho's portal support.

I hope that helps.

Anthony

mbatchelor
02-02-2006, 10:02 AM
We're currently building a PCI using JBoss 4.0.3 and JBoss Portal 2.2. There are some portal definition changes that are required as well as a few jar replacements required in the JBoss directories. But in all, it's not too bad.

You should be able to see and download the results from sourceforge by the end of next week, assuming everything goes as planned.

Thanks for your interest in Pentaho,

Marc

bpfonte
02-21-2006, 03:39 AM
Anthony de Shazor wrote:

(2) We are working on PHP integration. That would allow integrating Pentaho into any PHP application.

That would be really welcome!

Bruno