PDA

View Full Version : trouble with jdbc / postgreSQL 8.1

cartman
01-16-2006, 10:16 AM
hello,
i need surely some help and hope i get some...
in a db-project for diary-farming we wanna use pentaho - analysis, at first we take mondrian@tomcat(@win2k) with some trouble but usable.
now pentaho(@win2k) is the first joice and its great, cause we need an app who is not to install and run's after a short configuration...but now my problem:

i can get no contact to my postgresql-server(@win2k)...

i've tested with tomcat and it works...

after i worked out the advanced-install-doc and the create-your-own-solution-doc and the workbench-doc, i didn't finish that thing...creating a jndi-connection(own-ds) and so brought nothing...
make a normal connection like in the doc's also doesn't work...
please can someone tell me what i have to do..?

thx & greetings
marko

mbatchelor
01-16-2006, 10:34 AM
I'm sorry, but I can't help without a little more information. I've successfully run reports against my Postgresql database with no trouble.

Initially, did you copy the postgresql JDBC driver to the correct folder in the Preconfigured Install? Check your pci/server/default/lib directory for the postgresql-8.0-xxx.jdbc2.jar file. Also, the datasource file (xxxx-ds.xml) must be placed in the pci/server/default/deploy folder, and must be named with "-ds.xml" as the end part of the name. Otherwise, JBoss won't be able to find it. Also, your web.xml and the jboss-web.xml must be updated with the jndi information or else the application server won't hook the JNDI connection into the application.

If the required files are indeed present, please post the following so that we can be of more assistance - you can place them all in a .zip file if that's more convenient:

a- The server error log.

b- Your xxxx-ds.xml document.

c- The web.xml - pci/server/default/deploy/pentaho.war/WEB-INF/web.xml

d- The jboss-web.xml - pci/server/default/deploy/pentaho.war/WEB-INF/jboss-web.xml

e- The action sequence document (*.xaction) you're attempting to execute

Take care,

Marc

Edit: Added request for .xaction document.

Post edited by: mbatchelor, at: 01/16/2006 14:36

cartman
01-17-2006, 04:06 AM
Marc Batchelor wrote:

I'm sorry, but I can't help without a little more information. I've successfully run reports against my Postgresql database with no trouble.
i hope it belongs to me too in next time ;-)

Initially, did you copy the postgresql JDBC driver to the correct folder in the Preconfigured Install? Check your pci/server/default/lib directory for the postgresql-8.0-xxx.jdbc2.jar file.
yes i did... but the version 8.1-404 JDBC3.jar for postgres 8.1...
did this eventually mean it, i have to use the 8.0-xxx.jdbc2.jar..?

Also, the datasource file (xxxx-ds.xml) must be placed in the pci/server/default/deploy folder, and must be named with "-ds.xml" as the end part of the name. Otherwise, JBoss won't be able to find it.
i did this also...

Also, your web.xml and the jboss-web.xml must be updated with the jndi information or else the application server won't hook the JNDI connection into the application.
ok, this is a point i have to do additionally...
after i tried this and get no success, i'll send you the requested files on thursday...

If the required files are indeed present, please post the following so that we can be of more assistance - you can place them all in a .zip file if that's more convenient:

a- The server error log.

b- Your xxxx-ds.xml document.

c- The web.xml - pci/server/default/deploy/pentaho.war/WEB-INF/web.xml

d- The jboss-web.xml - pci/server/default/deploy/pentaho.war/WEB-INF/jboss-web.xml

e- The action sequence document (*.xaction) you're attempting to execute

Take care,

Marc

Edit: Added request for .xaction document.Post edited by: mbatchelor, at: 01/16/2006 14:36
great thanks for your time...
marko

Post edited by: cartman, at: 01/17/2006 08:13

mbatchelor
01-17-2006, 06:29 AM
yes i did... but the version 8.1-404 JDBC3.jar for postgres 8.1...
did this eventually mean it, i have to use the 8.0-xxx.jdbc2.jar..?

I haven't tried the jdbc version 3 drivers. If you're using the 8.1 drivers and nothing else is working, try the 8.1-404 jdbc2 drivers.

cartman
01-19-2006, 05:53 AM
Hello,
these are the requested Files...

a- server.log

b- schloss-ds.xml

c- web.xml - pci/server/default/deploy/pentaho.war/WEB-INF/web.xml

d- jboss-web.xml - pci/server/default/deploy/pentaho.war/WEB-INF/jboss-web.xml

e- schloss.xaction

and additionally

f- schloss_1.xaction

where i tried to connect in "normal"-way...
this is my favoured-version, but it also doesn't works...

i didn't understand what my problem is...i guess the jdbc-driver isn't the
problem, cause i tried all(2, 2ee and 3) of them in both way's of connecting my postgresql...

thank you for your efforts

marko
http://forums.pentaho.org/archived_att/files/req_files.zip

mbatchelor
01-19-2006, 06:56 AM
Hi there,

It seems that your driver class is the problem.

In your schloss-ds.xml, you're currently specifying:

org.PostgreSQL.Driver

In your action sequence, you're specifying this:

org.postgresql.driver

Neither of those classes exist. The correct driver class for the PostgreSQL driver is:

org.postgresql.Driver

Note that the only difference is in the case of the class name. Case is extremely important to Java - especially in the specification of java class names.

So, stop your server, change the schloss-ds.xml and restart your server. Then, you should be able to run schloss.xaction with no problems. To run the other, simply correct the class name in the schloss_1.xaction, and you should be set.

Take care,

Marc

Edit: Correct spelling.

Post edited by: mbatchelor, at: 01/19/2006 10:57

cartman
01-20-2006, 06:08 AM
hello,
thank you for your help, your work, your time...
really, it's great to see pentaho working...
i'm mortified, but i meant no harm by it, that it's so important to java to write the driver-class-name exactly...

so then, many greetings
bye and take care
marko