PDA

View Full Version : Add DataSource to Report Wizard

jerics99
01-18-2006, 05:40 AM
Hi,

How do I add a new data source to the report wizard. During my evaluation phase, I would like to be able to connect to my sample SQL Server Sample DB. I managed to connect to the db when using the sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver in BIRT. Can I copy that to use with the Pentaho reportwizard?

mbatchelor
01-18-2006, 07:09 AM
You could, but we don't recommend it. The JDBC/ODBC bridge drivers aren't all that robust or fault tolerant.

I suggest you use the free MSSQL JDBC driver available from Microsoft. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=07287B11-0502-461A-B138-2AA54BFDC03A&displaylang=en

Take care,

Marc

mdamour
01-18-2006, 08:45 AM
To use different database drivers, drop the jars/zips into the /lib/jdbc folder (under the Report Design Wizard root). The lib/jdbc path is put on the java.endorsed.dirs list so they will be picked up automatically.

-Mike

jerics99
01-19-2006, 05:15 AM
After reading the responses to my posting I did the following:

1) I downloaded the MSSQL JDBC driver available from Microsoft as a tar file

2) I unzipped mssqlserver.tar file

3) I copied the msjdbc.tar included in the mssqlserver.tar file to the lib/jdbc directory

4) I restarted the database and the JBOSS, then started the reportwizard

5) I still only have the 5 original source in the field JDBC Driver Class, should not my new data source be avilable from this field?

Cheers!

Post edited by: jerics99, at: 01/19/2006 09:30

mbatchelor
01-19-2006, 06:43 AM
Hi there,

The example connections are currently hard-coded in the file org.pentaho.jfreereport.utility.JDBCUtility. In the future, users will be able to add examples to this list for their specific JDBC driver.

No matter though - just because there isn't an example of the MSSQL driver connection settings, you can simply enter your connection settings into the fields - consult the JDBC driver documentation for the entries to put in each field. After you enter your connection settings, click the save button to save your connection information into a file that you can load when you're designing your next report.

Take care,

Marc

jerics99
01-19-2006, 07:52 AM
The reportwizard goes down without any error messages when trying to use the new datasource.

1) I start the wizard

2) I define the datasource as shown in the screen shot and test it with the OK response (no password needed for user sa)

3) I add the data set query (tested OK in Query analyser)

4) I click next

5) The wizard dissapears without messages

Bye! http://forums.pentaho.org/archived_att/files/Doc1.doc

Post edited by: jerics99, at: 01/19/2006 11:54

mbatchelor
01-19-2006, 08:16 AM
Hi there,

Your JDBC driver class and URL are wrong for the MSSQL driver. You've specified information as if you're using the JDBC/ODBC bridge.

Please consult the JDBC driver information for the valid connect string information.

For example, the class for the Microsoft driver should be something like this:

com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerDriver

The JDBC URL should look something like this for the Microsoft driver:

jdbc:microsoft:sqlserver://yourmssqlserver:1433;selectMethod=cursor;databaseName=yourDatabase

The above examples were for the Microsoft JDBC driver for MSSQL 2000. If you're using a different version of the driver (such as the new one for MSSQL 2003), this information may be different. Please consult the samples that came in the Microsoft JDBC driver documentation.

Take care,

Marc

Edited: Fix JDBC URL.

Post edited by: mbatchelor, at: 01/19/2006 12:28

mdamour
02-01-2006, 09:35 AM
I'm just checking to see if you have resolved any problems you've been having with the Report Design Wizard.

Even if you were able to get past these problems in 0.9.1, I highly recommend you try 0.9.2.

Thanks-
Mike