PDA

View Full Version : Workflow Component Utilization

walejava
01-23-2006, 02:05 AM
Hello,
I am alittle new to the BI terrain so my questions might sound ackward. Please i would like to clearify if the workflow component in Pentaho can be used alone without other component or as a standalone in my application, also what is/are the similarities/difference between pentaho workflow component and JBoss jBPM.
thank you very much for your anticipated reply.

regards ,
Adewale.

dmoran
01-24-2006, 07:01 AM
Adewale,

The workflow engine used in Pentaho is from an Open Source project called Enhydra Shark - http://shark.enhydra.org It is a complete workflow engine and may be used on it's own. The integration of Shark into Pentaho integrates business capabilities such as reporting, analytics, dashboards, portal, scheduling, business rules etc. that help you create end to end business solutions.

For a comparison between jBPM and Shark, try this link: http://www.pentaho.org/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=275&func=view&id=322&catid=7

Thanks,
Doug

walejava
01-24-2006, 07:37 AM
Hi Doug,
Thanks for replying my post. I need one more clearification. Are you also implying i could use Pentaho workflow which is based on shark without downloading shark? if in deed i want to use a workflow engine. (sorry for my beginner questions)

Thanks,
Adewale.

jdixon
01-25-2006, 11:35 AM
If you want to use a workflow engine with Pentaho we only support Shark as an embedded engine. Our demo server includes Shark.

There are four kinds of workflow in Pentaho.

1. Action Sequence. Simple workflow and business logic can be defined in action sequene (xaction) files.

2. Embedded Workflow Engine. For this we currently use Shark. Using XPDL executed by Shark you can execute Action Sequences as part of a more complex workflow. There are defined interfaces between Pentaho and Shark, we can implement these interfaces for other workflow engines such as JBPM.

3. Web Services/BPEL. Using external applications or external workflow engines you can execute Action Sequences.

4. Code Level. Using your own Java objects or JSPs you can execute Action Sequences and use your own logic/workflow in code.

If you do not need a full workflow engine then you do not need Shark.

James