PDA

View Full Version : Custom Component Development

simon_temple
01-31-2006, 04:39 AM
I think I may need to extend or implement a new Component to use in my action sequences.

Has anyone written custom components before? Does anyone have any advice regarding this approach?

adeshazor
01-31-2006, 10:49 AM
What exactly are you trying to do? There may be a way to do it using existing components.

Nevertheless, you are welcome to write your own components. Currently, our CVS push is not working; so, the code available from CVS may not be compatible with the current available binary version. We are working on the issue and will release source and binary bundles of future platforms.

Anthony

simon_temple
02-01-2006, 04:48 AM
More Information As Requested:

I'm looking at giving the user the ability to store filter selections as "named filters instances" and allowing the user to reuse the same filters again over time - as the data changes.

I'll need to persist the filter details beyond system restart so will need to hibernate the data. I also need to use the portal user details to ensure the privacy of the filter details.

To produce this I was looking at extending the filter component (into a new component) or creating a new filter persistence component... just ideas I'm kicking around... no real substance yet.. ;-)

I'm looking into the best way to grab and store filter selections made when interacting with the filter XFORM and also feeding the stored filter criteria into the saved database query at a later date.

I'm a real newbie to Pentaho so I would really appreciate comments from anyone validating or in-validating my ideas.

p.s. Having access to the latest source trunk via CVS may be required. Can you please post details of this a.s.a.p. Could you also include information on how you deal with source contribution from third parties and the processes of becoming a contributor?

Many Thanks

adeshazor
02-01-2006, 12:50 PM
It sounds as if you have some ideas of how to proceed with writing the component. When you are ready to contribute code, you can either post your code to the forum or send it to communityconnection@pentaho.org. I'll send you a contributor’s agreement via e-mail. We will need the signed agreement on file before we can accept any code contributions.

In the next week or so, we will post a milestone build of the next version of the platform. The binaries and the source will be available for the build.

Hope this helps....

Anthony

simon_temple
02-02-2006, 05:44 AM
From browsing the CVS repository I see updates are being posted:

e.g. ComponentBase.java 1.1.1.5 9 hours buildguypentaho update

Can I assume if I grab and build the source now I'll end up with a current development snapshot? (i.e. binaries and source that match?)

Thx

adeshazor
02-02-2006, 08:41 AM
Our push to CSV is not working. Moreover, the code that's in CVS does not match the currently available binaries. As stated earlier, within the next week, we will have a stable build available both in binary and source distributions.

Anthony