PDA

View Full Version : Who is using Pentaho ?

russelldb
02-08-2006, 06:09 AM
Hi All,
Firstly sorry if this is the wrong forum. There is no general discussion forum that I could see.

I came to Penatho from using Mondrian at work. The problem I have is that although in a small way people are using Mondrian now at my company there is a resistance in IT governance to allowing more critical and widespread use of Mondrian or Pentaho. The cheif hurdle is the perceived risk of being an early adopter. One way to offset the risk is to pay for support/proffesional services. Before we get that far I need to show that other people are actually deploying solutions on Pentaho/Mondrian.

Do you know of any business case studies ? Are you using Pentaho in your organisation ? If you are can I can contact you ?

I work for a major UK financial institution and I am sure we would be happy to be named as a Pentaho customer when we get to production.

Many thanks in advance if you can help at all

Russell

Post edited by: russelldb, at: 02/08/2006 10:10

bpfonte
02-10-2006, 02:50 AM
Hi,

Same problem here. We were invited to integrate a BI solution with one of our clients information system. As we are at the very beginning of the project, we are still determining the path to take and Pentaho is a very valid option.

Knowing case studies, experiences, etc would be great!

Waiting to here from you,
Bruno

adeshazor
02-10-2006, 09:47 AM
Bruno and Russell,

There are several companies using Pentaho; however, posting their names in a forum is not something they will likely allow. To get more information on our references, e-mail sales@pentaho.org.

Anthony

Post edited by: adeshazor, at: 02/14/2006 10:42

bpfonte
02-21-2006, 03:02 AM
Hi again,

I don't think that names are really needed. What I would like to know are study cases, implementation experiences... well, we're getting it from the forums anyway.

Thanks anyway,
Bruno

choloville
03-14-2006, 01:04 AM
I am working with one of the biggest banks in our country and I am trying to fit Pentaho to suit our needs. We will try to use it for a small portion of data analysis. If things go well, then we will implement it in our department. Then maybe it will be used for other departments as well.

bpfonte
03-14-2006, 02:58 AM
Hi choloville,

Thank you for your message!

Can I ask you a few questions. Of course, feel free to ignore. The purpose is to understand what is being done and how!

1. Which DB engines are you using?
2. Wich Pentaho components are you using? To do what?
3. What other tools you had to use in order to make it work?
4. Wich plataforms (os and such) you're using?
5. Which information are you exploring?
6. Dificulty in dealing with the data?
7. What was the acceptance of the managemente layer knowing that it is open source?
8. Anything else you can point out! Feel free to make it long!... : )

If anyone else has the availability, please post your implementation solution too! For the benefit of all!

Many thanks!
Bruno

choloville
03-14-2006, 04:37 PM
The data source will come from different database systems (Oracle, MSSql etc). I will be using MySQL for this project. The goal is to minimize cost.

We will be using Pentaho as much as we could. Our primary goal is to find a substitute for some OLAP software. The IT department of our company suggested to use open source software so here I am trying to fit Pentaho in our department.

I am actually exploring other open source software for OLAP implementation. As I can see it, Pentaho is heading my list. This is the last one that I saw so I am still studying it.

What I want to know is how to create cubes (Mondrian), perform ETL (Kettle), perform some slice and dice and create reports. Pentaho is offering something bigger than what I need but those excess features might be useful in the future. As of now, I just want to focus on what I need. As I do the project, maybe I can explore other features of Pentaho to help our department.

The management really wants to save some dollars. If open source can do what we need then they will grab it.

The 1st project is to implement a datawarehousing for corporations using the bank's services.

The difficulties that I see is on the data inconsistencies. We have to formulate a way to automate the matching of company names since the way they are doing this now is manually matching company names into their own respective company groups.

Post edited by: choloville, at: 03/14/2006 20:45

ocho79
03-21-2006, 06:51 AM
That sounds like a quite good project. I'm just about to start writing my graduation tesis which will be about the use of open source BI software in small and medium businesses.

So of course a main part will be about pentaho ;) Do you already have an idea how to integrate Kettle into the pentaho-framework?

because with all given respect: you cannot call Octopus an ETL-Tool.

saludos!

Robsteranium
10-26-2006, 08:13 AM
We have to formulate a way to automate the matching of company names since the way they are doing this now is manually matching company names into their own respective company groups.

Did you reach a conclusion on how to do this? What sort of Kettle steps have you used?