PDA

View Full Version : Migration Hypersonc to MS SQL Server

Lila
02-14-2006, 01:16 PM
Hi,
(first: sorry for my english)
i have installed Pentaho a few days ago. Instalation was very successfull! Im so happy.
But now i want to migrate de database Hypersonic to MS SQL Server, that I have installed before on my server.
Can you tell me where can find the steps for do this?
I saw the "Creating Pentaho Solutions", but i cant find it.
Thank you for your grate product and support.

Post edited by: lila, at: 02/14/2006 17:22

fpohlman
02-15-2006, 03:40 AM
Hello,

may I ask why you want to migrate the Hypersonic database to MS SQL Server? I thought about migrating the Hypersonic database to Oracle but decided that the migration overhead is too great. Hypersonic is a small database and is not consuming too much ressources. So I let it run on my server and use my Oracle machine to do the really heavy work: get the data for my reports and all the other xactions. All the Pentaho specific data is stored in the Hypersonic database and so far I had no problems with Hypersonic.

Regards
Florian

Lila
02-15-2006, 07:02 AM
Hi Florian,
thank you for your answer.
I want to migrate the Hypersonic database to MS SQL Server because in the "Quick Start Guide" recommends to use a different database than Hypersonic if you gonna use the Pentaho BI Plataform for anything other tan demos or evaluation.

But if you say that Hypersonic work without problems, i think that i can use Hypersonic.

I dont understand how you get the data for your reports and all
the other xactions since Oracle if you have the data in Hypersonic. You migrate de data to Oracle? How you access to Hypersonic?

thank you again for your answer =)

Lila

fpohlman
02-16-2006, 12:45 PM
Hi Lila,

the "Quick Start Guide" is right when it says dont use Hypersonic for something else than demos or evaluation. If you use the PCI (PreConfiguredInstall aka Demo version) version of Pentaho, just start Hypersonic and concentrate on pulling your "real" data out of a "real" database.

In the PCI version of Pentaho there are some components that depend on the data stored by default in the Hypersonic database. But you can use any "production" database to get data for your reports, dashboards and so on. That's the reason why I kept Hypersonic because my application is based on the PCI installation of Pentaho but all the relevant business data is stored in an Oracle database.

To get your data:
Just define a JNDI ressource for your MS SQL server and use this ressource in your xactions that define your reports, SQLLookuprules, dashboards and so on. Here are some threads to get you started, feel free to ask more questions:

first (http://www.pentaho.org/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=275&func=view&id=636&catid=21)
and second.. (http://www.pentaho.org/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=275&func=view&id=1144&catid=2)

Regards
Florian

alittledog
04-09-2007, 04:49 PM
I still want to migrate off of Hypersonic. I want to run a production portal using Pentaho and I want to run my portal as windows service. Running JBoss as a service can be done, but there are 4 hypersonic databases being started in the start-pentaho.bat script. If I could convert all of them to MSQL or Oracle, I would then have a complete solution for running my portal ( and components) as windows services.

Odyssee
04-10-2007, 05:16 AM
Hi,

Which version are you running ?

Since 1.5, you can download 2 builds :

one is for Hypersonic (pentaho_demo_hsqldb-*.zip)
the second one is for MySQL (pentaho_demo_MySql5-*.zip)Regards,
Odyssee

Robsteranium
01-24-2008, 09:41 PM
What's more you can finally rid JBoss of hypersonic too:
http://labs.jboss.com/file-access/default/members/jbossas/freezone/docs/Getting_Started_Guide/beta422/html/Using_other_Databases.html