PDA

View Full Version : Can I change the Demo to my database?

sunroser
02-16-2006, 07:24 AM
Hi, there

I am suggesting BI solution to my boss. What am I need are follow:

1. I want to use Pentaho's analysis component against my cube in SQL Server 2000 Analysis Service in the pentaho_demo-1.1.1.0 environment. Would you please give the instruction step by step?

2. I tried the Pentahoworkbench. For example, I opened a file helloworld.xaction, and came to the 'Test' page, 'test server' is OK, but test the helloworld button, nothing happened! Would you please tell me how to troulbe-shotting? I am not very familiar with JSP and JAVA. Is there any easy way to modify the Demo to fit looking like my face of presentation?

Thanks!

sunroser

Post edited by: sunroser, at: 02/16/2006 11:25

sunroser
02-16-2006, 01:56 PM
Second question has been fixed by the way:
I modified the xaction file and save it, and go back to the website
http://localhost:8080/pentaho
and reclick the hyperlink of Helloworld. It did work.

But I still do not know how to solve the first question

In additional, I wish that I could found the Dashboard Designer which was mentioned in FAQ of Dashboard. I confused where it is, I searched N times in Pentaho Workbench.

Actually, It is a ugent task, furthermore I am a new-hand on Pentaho.
Could anybody in the developing team help my a little bit more, especially about the context, such as, first step is...

sunroser
02-17-2006, 06:41 AM
Anybody in developing team there? I am sorry, because it is urgent task. Could I rely on this forum and waiting? or there is better way to access help from Pentaho?

Appreciate your any reply.

Dave Xie

jdixon
02-17-2006, 08:29 AM
Hi Dave.

The dashboard designer has not been built yet.

To create dashboards you need to create some XML files.

If you look in pentaho-demo/pentaho-solutions/samples/portal you will see the files that are used to create the dashboard in our demo server.

budgets.pieChart.xml defines how the pie chart looks and what to execute to get the data.
budgets.widgetgrid.xml defines how the array of dials looks and what to execute to get the data
budgetvariance.dial.xml defines how each dial looks
departments.rule.xaction defines how to get the list of departments for the filter panel
headcount_actual_by_region.xaction defines the query that is used to populate the pie chart
headcount_variance_by_region.xaction defines the query that is used to populate the array of dials
JFreeQuadrantForRegion.xml defines how the embedded report looks
jfreereport-reports-test-1.xaction defines the query that is used to populate the report
panel1.filterpanel.xml defines the filter panel is used to make selections

You can use the Workbench to edit the xaction files. I suggest you start by modifying each of these files in turn to see the affect they have.

We will be working on making the dashboards easier to work with soon.

James

sunroser
02-17-2006, 10:11 AM
Hi James

It so good to get instruction from you! Yes, it is useful to me. And I will try to change something in these XML files to learn the affect. The suggestion is good enough though there still some detail to catch in these 9 XML files. But I knew the functionality of these XML, it is very important to me. Thanks!
Furthermore, do you feel it is easy to explain how to ADD my portal application in the http://mshdevsql01:8080/portal/auth/portal/Pentaho/[07]Dashboard instead of just replacing it? The webpage looks no space let me put a leg in.

Thanks for your valuable suggestion!

Dave

sunroser
02-17-2006, 11:57 AM
Hi Jame

I tried to modify the 'Departments.rule.xaction' SQL statement, it did work. It is great!
But I don't think I have data for choices of options like 'Eastern/Western/Southern', Could I modify them to something like 'Cost centre1/Cost centre2/Cost centre3/'? If yes, where is the place let my hand in?

Thanks a lot for your helping!

Dave