PDA

View Full Version : HELP NEEDED URGENTLY

JNieves
03-01-2006, 07:48 AM
I downloaded the Preconfigured Instalation of Pentaho BI Platform & Pentaho Reporting Server, however when I go to my local host I see cannot find page. I am assuming that this is the reason why when I go into web.xml to set my computer as the server it does not work. I tried my DNS server #, my IP Address and localhost, but it does not change to a new broser.

I am using Windows 2000
and the JBoss that comes with the instalation.

mbatchelor
03-01-2006, 08:46 AM
Are you specifying the port #?

You should be able to get to the server with the following (if it's running):

http://localhost:8080/pentaho/

JNieves
03-01-2006, 11:17 AM
I did It excaly as you wrote but nothing happened.

mbatchelor
03-01-2006, 11:41 AM
First question - is the server running without errors?

When you run start-pentaho.bat, look at the console. If you start to see a bunch of errors in the window, it's likely that the server isn't running property. Here's a couple of things to investigate:

1- We've noticed sometimes a port conflict between the Firefox browser and JBoss. Before starting JBoss (start-pentaho.bat), make sure that all browser instances are closed, and you don't open a browser until after you see the "Pentaho BI Platform is Ready" message in the server console.

2- The other possible conflict is that there is already something running on your machine on port 8080. This could be for any number of reasons. Here's how to discover whether this is the issue - first, make sure that the Pentaho server is not running (execute stop-pentaho.bat). Then, open a browser and point to http://localhost:8080/

If something comes up, then you've got something already running on port 8080. Either shut down the other server, or refer to the advanced installation guide to change the port of the pentaho server before running.

Your web.xml baseurl should be set to:

<context-param>
<param-name>base-url</param-name>
<param-value>http://localhost:8080/pentaho/</param-value>
</context-param>

Let us know the outcome.

JNieves
03-13-2006, 09:37 AM
Marc, Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I hade few opensource projects going and had to slow down and concentrate on one at a time. I am not sure of my next step. I NEED to use Tomcat when at all possible since that is my 8080 port and I have things that need Tomcat and can not stop running it to use the Jboss. I tried to understand the Advance instalation but I am still unclear on how to switch from Jboss to Tomcat. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

bpfonte
03-13-2006, 10:29 AM
Hi,

If it's only for test purpose, you don't need to deploy Pentaho on Tomcat already. Test it using the demo and changing Jboss port.

To do that, refer to Pentaho_Advanced_Install_Guide_1.1.1.pdf, page 12.

Regards,
Bruno

JNieves
03-13-2006, 10:57 AM
I already have a service running on Tomcat and can not shut it down in order to use Jboss.

bpfonte
03-13-2006, 11:10 AM
I'm not sure I'm understanding your issue...

You don't have to stop Tomcat in order to run the JBoss Pentaho demo. If you wan't you can change the default JBoss port 8080 to other available port avoiding the conflict with Tomcat. Refer to the documentation to do it.

JNieves
03-13-2006, 11:17 AM
I do not want to test it, I wan to install it exacly as I woud need to in order to use it everyday. I wan tot do this os I do not have to do any reconfiguration later.

mbatchelor
03-13-2006, 06:48 PM
We can only help those with problems that are willing to help themselves. The answer to your question can be found in the advanced installation guide, as pointed out by bpfonte. Please read through the advanced installation guide.

Take care,

Marc

JNieves
03-14-2006, 05:51 AM
I have honestly read through the instalation guide"s" and am not clear on how to do it. I have not had any IT traing at all except what I have taught myself. All I am asking for is a little guidance. I am willing to open a new port for JBoss intead of changing to TomCat, however I do not know what port to switch it to. Unfortunately we can not afford to pay someone to do it so I am stuck doing it myself and trying hard to understand something that is literaly like German to me.

mbatchelor
03-14-2006, 07:34 PM
Bruno,

1- Download the latest version of the Advanced Install Guide (Pentaho_Advanced_Install_Guide_1.1.3.pdf).

2- Search for the following words:
Changing the Server Port

3- Follow the steps

If you're not sure what port to try, try port 9090. If you don't have anything running on port 80 (the default HTTP port), use 80.

When you access the platform, instead of using http://localhost:8080/pentaho you'll need to use http://localhost:####/pentaho.

I hope this helps,

Marc

JNieves
03-15-2006, 06:01 AM
Thak you SO VERY MUCH. That was th eexact problem I had. I do have something running off of port 80 so I will use 9090.

JNieves
03-15-2006, 06:23 AM
The advanced Instalation guide says if you are going to run bot the server and the web broser on the same machine then we ca use localhost, however the web broser is going to be used on several differnt computers based on my understanding (if I am correct) we will not be able to use localhost or will we. I previosely tried a few times to set it up with the IP address and the name that shows on my computer when I boot it up every morning, but it did not work. (I di d not use them both at the same time I tried each one seperately) Was I doing it correctly?

bpfonte
03-15-2006, 06:32 AM
I think that what you are looking for is here: http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread.php?t=26057

JNieves
03-15-2006, 06:49 AM
Thank you I followed everyones direction. I have a quick question to through in. We use a router, do we have to open a port on the router to accomidate the port I assigned to JBoss? I used 9090.

bpfonte
03-15-2006, 07:13 AM
I guess that if you're only using your internal network, no configuration on your router should be necessary. Be sure, though, to open the port on any firewall you may be using on your machine.

If you need to access your Pentaho from outside, you'll most probably need to configure your router in order to allow traffic on the port and redirect TCP traffic on that port to your machine's IP address.

Give it a try with the help of your router's manual...

JNieves
03-15-2006, 07:18 AM
Thank you, I guess my boss was refereing to having someone access it from outside, but I did what I was asked to do which is make sure we can access Pentaho on an internal network. So now let's pray it works and I di dnot screw anything up.

JNieves
03-15-2006, 08:02 AM
Well guys, I knew it was to good to be true, and too easy as well. I can not access the web page, I get a can not find server error. Any suggestions on what to check for?

bpfonte
03-15-2006, 08:31 AM
You really should start to look for your answers instead of just plain asking... Not that I (or anyone else in these forums, I think!) mind helping. It's just that you'll learn much more and have more fun if you try by yourself with the help of the documentation and, of course, by reading the forums.

Then, if you really aren't making any progress, everyone will be more willingly to help if you make an effort to be more accurate on the explanation of your doubt.

Sorry but this had to be said!

Now, back to your question:
1. Is the server running without errors (keep an eye on the console after running start-pentaho.bat)?
2. Can you access pentaho through localhost using the new port (http://localhost:9090)?
3. Have you changed your web.xml to use the new port?

Try these and post the results!

Bruno

Post edited by: bpfonte, at: 03/15/2006 12:33

JNieves
03-15-2006, 09:52 AM
I am sorry if I have upset anyone by asking to many questions... but I was under the impression that I am using the forum and that this is what I was supposed to do "ask questions" if I am not getting it to work and wait for someone to see if they can help me. Please let me know if I am not using the forum or not using it right. I am new to all of this and do not want to become someone that everyone ignores when they see a question by me. Where do I look for my answers besides the advanced and quick start instruction manuals that I have followed twice besides using what you guys have said after I had already failed at this twice.

JNieves
03-15-2006, 10:21 AM
I am sorry if I have upset anyone by asking to many questions... but I was under the impression that I am using the forum and that this is what I was supposed to do "ask questions" if I am not getting it to work and wait for someone to see if they can help me. Please let me know if I am not using the forum or not using it right. I am new to all of this and do not want to become someone that everyone ignores when they see a question by me. Where do I look for my answers besides the advanced and quick start instruction manuals that I have followed twice besides using what you guys have said after I had already failed at this twice.

bpfonte
03-15-2006, 03:05 PM
back to your question:
1. Is the server running without errors (keep an eye on the console after running start-pentaho.bat)?
2. Can you access pentaho through localhost using the new port (http://localhost:9090)?
3. Have you changed your web.xml to use the new port?

Try these and post the results!

JNieves
03-16-2006, 05:34 AM
1. The server appears to be running fine. I do not see any errors that areexpressed as errors.
2. I can not acccess through localhost or my IP address as a server. I tried both ways.
3. I hav echanged my web xml to the new port (9090)

It seems that it is trying desperately to connec to the Pentaho BI platform, but it takes forever and in the end does not connect because I wait like 3-5 min and then stop it.

bpfonte
03-16-2006, 06:44 AM
I'm stuck... I suggest a radical solution: start from the beggining!

--
Bruno

JNieves
03-16-2006, 06:58 AM
Believe me it is not that radical.

I read somewhere that Pentaho is integrateable with Eclipse, but I do not see any instructions on installing it through Eclipse. Do you know anything about that? Wher eI can get the instructions? I ask because I use Eclipse for OpenRules and was succesful with installing the OpenRules.

Can you believe Pentaho is my third (well fourth Eclipse is open source) OpenSource Install? I sure you can't by my ignorance. Sometimes I think I am just braindead because I have already installed two succesfully and can not get this one to work, but then again the other two do not use JBoss and I used port 80 and port 8080. The first two just seemed to b eso simple.

mahadevsawale
05-07-2006, 09:35 PM
just try this,if i am correct,
go to the JBoss's server.xml file, where you change the port no and computer name. and do not change the loclahost to your computer name of this tag-