PDA

View Full Version : Minimum System Requirements?

choloville
03-09-2006, 11:20 PM
My Computers

Desktop = 2.2 GHZ with 128 MB RAM Windows 2000
Laptop = 1.4 GHZ with 256 RAM Windows XP

I used pentaho on these two computers but the result is too slow. Although it is faster on my laptop, the performance is still slow. In my laptop, I have to wait around 1 minute to see a refreshed webpage.
In the desktop, I need to wait for 2 to 5 minutes.

The loading of the Pentaho (when i click on the start_pentaho) is around 5 to 10 mins. I did the same unzip and run for the demo package.

Is there something wrong with my computer?
What are the system requirements?
Do you guys experience the same thing?
If not, what are your current PC specs?

Thanks! I think pentaho will help in my current job right now. The company that I am working with will save 100,000 dollars for the software.

bpfonte
03-10-2006, 02:55 AM
Hi,

I had the same problems when I first started testing pentaho on a PII, 233mhz, 256Mb running Windows 2000. It took about 12 minutes starting the demo but some acceptable seconds showing up the pages.

I then tried the same machine running Ubuntu... it was somewhat quicker taking less than 8 minutes starting.

Tried also on my home test machine... a PIII, 450Mhz, 256Mb running Gentoo. It took about 4 minutes starting but the pages were quickly displayed.

I'm now working on a AMD Sempron 2600 (1.6Ghz), 1Gb RAM running XP Pro, accessing data on a VMWare machine installed on the same machine. It takes about 2 mins starting and a few seconds when showing the pages for the first time, but quick enough after.

That's my experience...
Bruno
(won't someone please shut me up!)

mbatchelor
03-10-2006, 06:38 AM
Hi there, and thanks for your interest in Pentaho.

Minimum system requirements will vary with the container Pentaho is deployed in, and the types of analytics and such being performed. For example, the Pentaho Pre-configured Install is currently deployed in the Default deployment in JBoss Application Server. This requires more memory and horsepower than if you deployed to Apache Tomcat. However, when you deploy to Tomcat, you also lose application server capabilities (Tomcat isn't a full J2EE AS, but it just a servlet runner).

Bottom line - I wouldn't run our JBoss PCI with less than 512mb of RAM and 1ghz. My current development laptop is 2ghz with 2gb of ram.

I hope this helps,

Marc

twnaing
11-06-2012, 08:14 AM
http://infocenter.pentaho.com/help/topic/install_graphical/concept_hardware_prereq.html states that

Pentaho is hardware agnostic but there is a recommended set of minimum system specifications:Server:

RAM: at least 4GB
Hard drive space: at least 2GB for the software, and more for solution and content files
Processor: dual-core AMD64 or Intel EM64T

Workstation:

RAM: at least 2GB
Hard drive space: at least 1GB for the software, and more for solution and content files
Processor: dual-core AMD64 or Intel EM64T

It's possible to use less capable machines, but in most scenarios this will result in an undesirable level of performance.