PDA

View Full Version : Pentaho + Ruby on rails= Killer Software

bmk
03-20-2006, 04:35 AM
Hi All,

First and foremost, Pentaho is a great Open source project.
Congrat you guys! I like this software.

My subject title is just provocative, but it will be great if this dream come through. Really. Ruby in Rails gains more and more with the acceptation dramatic pace of Open source community.

See here the Jolt award received by rails: http://www.loudthinking.com/arc/000573.html

Pentaho is Java-centric. Nothing is bad, but if you can enlarge the community into another Java centric. So it will be great for Pentaho to be able to be used with Ruby On rails and AJAX/WEB 2.0.

Thanks for your consideration.

Regards,

Brice

jnicho02
03-20-2006, 06:50 AM
interesting thought.....I believe that Pentaho is looking to provide a SOA/web services architecture, so technically front-end applications could be written in any language whilst communicating with the main (Java-based) server via XML.

gskohner
03-24-2006, 10:50 AM
I don't see anything on the roadmap about this. I would love to hear from the development team about this issue. I wish I knew how to contribute to exactly this kind of Pentaho soap server. Today we can use the "ServiceAction" to get a Soap response, but we can't really get everything we need like urls for charts and gauges.

jnicho02
03-27-2006, 12:46 AM
I may have misquoted slightly.....the FAQ talks about the Service Oriented Architecture specifically and not web services....

guzaldon
04-16-2006, 11:46 AM
here at the company I'm working with we are starting an open source movement were we are going to try and give back to the communities that we have been working with. We are currently working on a web interface that works with SOAP/xml and uses ajax, I don't know much about it, yet but I think we are planning to release it to the public at some date in the future. Perhaps around that same time I might be able to supply something for people that want to use AJAX for a frontend persay for pentaho in stead of the jboss protal. I'm not entirely sure how all that will be able to bundle together but it might be something I'll be posting my questions about down the run once I know the ins and outs of the SDK much better. but for now untill that AJAX front end gets finalized the jboss portal will have to work, which isn't bad at all.

I think the idea of the SOA is great b/c that will allow for a lot of functionality on the front end. I mention this b/c I'm trying to see how one such as myself would be able to help make pentaho a better solution, which seems hard to do since it's already really awesome.

Just some thought of personal hopes down the run.

Nic

bmk
04-16-2006, 01:19 PM
Hi Nic,

It sounds great what you are doing.
Which Ajax framework do you use?
Prototype/Rico, Script.acu.lo.us, Dojo, Zimbra AjaxTK?

Regards,
Brice

bmk
04-16-2006, 01:21 PM
Hi Nic,

It sounds great what you are doing.
Which Ajax framework do you use?
Prototype/Rico, Script.acu.lo.us, Dojo, Zimbra AjaxTK?

Regards,
Brice

guzaldon
04-17-2006, 07:01 AM
We are kind of rolling our own. I'm not the one developing it but when it's finalized and we have "defined" out frame work I was going to attempt to intergrate it over pentaho. I'm not an expert in either so who knows how long it'll actually be.

But it'll be interesting. I'll probably post something when we release it to the public. If that is alright with the forum admins and moderators.

Nic