PDA

View Full Version : Running portals under Tomcat 5.5

evdkieft
04-10-2006, 02:14 AM
Hi people,

We are planning to use Pentaho for one of our clients to integrate reporting and dashboards with their existing application. We will have to use Tomcat for this. The problem is that we want to use the portal functionality of Pentaho, but the documentation states that portals under Tomcat are not supported as of yet because Tomcat isn't supplied with a JSR168 compatible portlet container.

My question is if anyone has tried to get the portal stuff working on Tomcat. I installed Pluto, which is working, but to be honest I have no idea how to deploy the Pentaho stuff in there.

Anybody can help me out here?

Regards,
Erik

dawuss
12-22-2006, 04:48 AM
Have you been making any progress here? I'm very much interested as I have the same problem.

mlowery
12-22-2006, 11:12 AM
I'm not familiar with Pluto but perhaps I can give some direction. All Pentaho portlet classes as well as the portlet.xml file are packaged in pentaho.war. If you downloaded the "Pentaho BI Platform J2EE Deployments" then ran the build-tomcat5.0-war Ant target, you'd end up with a WAR file suitable for deployment into Tomcat.

From here, the configuration is specific to Pluto. I can point you to the JBoss Portal deployment descriptors and hopefully that will get you started configuring Pluto. Download the "Pentaho Open BI Suite (Pre-Configured Installation)" and extract the archive. In the pentaho-demo/jboss/server/default/deploy/jboss-portal.sar directory you will find two WARs which contain JBoss Portal-specific deployment descriptors: pentaho-admin-portlets.war and pentaho-portlets.war. Use these as your guide for configuring Pluto.

dawuss
12-28-2006, 08:51 AM
I would advise you to use Jetspeed 2 as a portlet container for tomcat. I am using this myself and it seems to be working quite nicely :)