PDA

View Full Version : Pentaho_Advanced_install_Guide_1.0.0.0.pdf

puneet_1998
04-20-2006, 12:55 PM
HI,

I was trying to setup Eclipse project for Pentaho and in Advanced_install_Guide_1.0.0.0.pdf, it mentions to get the code from

http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=14033&group_id=1.

This link does not work. Could any one please tell me how to get the
"pentaho – the main Pentaho source code tree" source. I have downloaded pentaho-solutions – the sample solutions and
pentaho-data – the default sample databases successfully.

Any help will be appreciated,

thanks
Puneet

bpfonte
04-21-2006, 01:06 AM
Look under http://www.pentaho.org/download/latest.html
--
Bruno

gmoran
04-21-2006, 05:01 AM
Hello Puneet!

The Advanced Install Guide is a little out of date. We were publishing our source via CVS when the guide was written, so the instructions tell you to get the source from our sourceforge CVS. That is not the case now.

We now publish an SDK that contains all of the source code for the platform and the demo solution. You can find that package under http://www.pentaho.org/download/latest, the package named Pentaho SDK. The SDK is updated everey 3-4 days with the latest source. You can also find a how-to guide that will tell you how to build the source and run the demo, right next to the package download.

good luck, lt me know how it goes for you!

Gretchen
Community Connection

puneet_1998
04-21-2006, 08:24 AM
Hi,

After downloading the latest source and install guide, i was able to setup my eclipse project. I setup 3 projects as per the guide i.e. pentaho, pentaho-solutions, pentaho-data.

Now i was trying to run one of the JUNIT testcase (Emailtest.java) and it failed with

java.io.FileNotFoundException: f:/workspace/pentaho-samples/solutions/test-solution\\system

I checked the SolutionContextListener.java class and its setting the defaultLocations array with 2 values
/eclipse/workspace/pentaho-solutions
/eclipse/workspace/pentaho-samples/solutions/test-solution

I dont have pentaho-samples as a project in my eclipse. What should i do to run the testcase succesfully.

I am totally new to pentaho, and i need to use pentaho for my company's DashBoard development. Do i need to understand all the BI solutions provoided by Pentaho or i can jump to DashBoard directly? Any guidence will be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Puneet

gmoran
04-21-2006, 09:11 AM
Hii Puneet,

Running our test cases takes a little magic (we are improving our test suite as I write this, so it will be getting better!).

First, you need to set the SOLUTION_PATH static string in the org.pentaho.test.TestSettings.java class to the absolute root directory of your solutions files. Those would be in the pentaho-solutions project you set up in Eclipse - the pentaho-solutions directory would be the root.

Then you need to add the following VM argument in your Eclipse run configuration (or debug configuration) for the desired unit test:

-Dincontainer=false

Keep me informed on your progress, you're almost there!

Gretchen

puneet_1998
04-21-2006, 09:34 AM
hi Gretchen,

After your suggestion i am able to run the EmailTest testcase, but its failing with NULLPOinterException at

RunTimeContext.getFeedbackContentItem()

I tried to see what is the reason for it and found that value of outputHandler is null. On futher digging, i found that method

run(String solutionId, String path, String actionName, IParameterProvider parameterProvider)

calls the method

run(String solutionId, String path, String actionName, IParameterProvider parameterProvider, String testName, String fileExtension)

with las 2 parameters being null. So outputHandler never gets initialized properly.

What should be the correct fileExtenstion to be passed?
I am looking further into it.

thanks
Puneet

puneet_1998
04-21-2006, 10:39 AM
Hi

I passed a dummy testname and txt as file entension and i am able to run the testcase successfully. I changed the xaction files also to have my email address as 'to' address and i got all the emails.

I am looking into other tescases.

Gretchen! i am only interested in DashBoard developement. COuld you please guide me what documentation i should refer for that.

thanks
Puneet

gmoran
04-24-2006, 12:01 PM
Puneet,
I'm sorry, there is no formal documentation for our dashboarding capabilities as of yet.

However, if you download the latest Pentaho SDK (http://www.pentaho.org/download/latest) , there is a prototype JSP named RegionalReports.jsp that demonstrates dashboard functionality. Build and run the demo, and point your browser to http://localhost:8080/pentaho/jsp/RegionalReport.jsp, or the similar URL to where you are running your demo. if you haven't worked with the SDK, it has a pretty small learning curve if you are familiar with Eclipse, JBoss and J2EE already. There is an instruction guide that you can download right next to the package.

Good Luck, and I will post again when we have some more dashboarding info available.

regards,
Gretchen Moran