PDA

View Full Version : proble\m with deploying on Tomcat 5.0

karanbhalla
05-16-2006, 12:40 AM
Hi,

i am using Tomcat 5.0.28 to deploy my pentaho.war file which i built using ant-1.6.5. I followed the instructions in the latest Advanced install guide-1.1.5. The application is successfully deployed but the database connectivity could not be established.
As specified in the instal guide, i followed the following instructions:

1) The database was running.
2) server.xml was modified and tags were added into the file with the specified code added in between.
3)i deployed the pentaho.war file usind the Tomcat Manager.

When i ran the Getting Started examples to test the successful deployment of BI suite,only the "hello World" example was running successfully.

following error was shown on running "Sample Data" example:

Failed
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Error: ConnectFactory.ERROR_0001 - Database connection could not be established to: SampleData (org.pentaho.plugin.sql.SQLLookupRule)
Debug: Starting execute of samples/getting-started/SampleDataQuery.xaction (org.pentaho.core.solution.SolutionEngine)
Debug: Getting runtime context and data (org.pentaho.core.solution.SolutionEngine)
Debug: Loading action sequence definition file (org.pentaho.core.solution.SolutionEngine)
Debug: audit: instanceId=b2afe1d1-e4b7-11da-82a5-e7f4c4ab41cd, objectId=org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext, messageType=action_sequence_start (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
Debug: validateComponent validating component SQLLookupRule (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
Debug: Validating component for action SampleDataQuery.xaction (org.pentaho.plugin.sql.SQLLookupRule)
Debug: Executing action sequence (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
Debug: Executing action definition: Iteration 0 (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
Debug: audit: instanceId=b2afe1d1-e4b7-11da-82a5-e7f4c4ab41cd, objectId=SQLLookupRule, messageType=component_execution_started (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
Debug: execute pre-audit (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
Debug: Setting component log level to DEBUG (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
Debug: Initializing component (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
Debug: executeComponent starting audited execute (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
Debug: execute validation=true (org.pentaho.plugin.sql.SQLLookupRule)
Error: ConnectFactory.ERROR_0001 - Database connection could not be established to: SampleData (org.pentaho.plugin.sql.SQLLookupRule)
Error: SQLBaseComponent.ERROR_0007 - Connection to data source is not valid (org.pentaho.plugin.sql.SQLLookupRule)
Debug: executeComponent finished audited execute (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
Error: RuntimeContext.ERROR_0012 - ActionDefinition for SQLLookupRule did not execute successfully (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
Debug: audit: instanceId=b2afe1d1-e4b7-11da-82a5-e7f4c4ab41cd, objectId=org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext, messageType=action_sequence_failed (org.pentaho.core.runtime.RuntimeContext)
Error: SolutionEngine.ERROR_0007 - Action sequence execution failed (org.pentaho.core.solution.SolutionEngine)

The deployment was successfully running on a JBOSS server when i deployed the EAR file there. With the war file same problem was encountered.

please help since i have already spent more than a week troubleshooting this problem and am unable to figure out.

regards,
karan

mbatchelor
05-16-2006, 04:30 AM
Hi there,

Please see the following post for additional help:

http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread.php?t=26162

Since you're dealing with Tomcat, the flie list would be:

a- Your action sequence (xxx.xaction)
b- Your server.xml
c- Your web.xml
d- Your server error log

Post edited by: mbatchelor, at: 05/16/2006 08:55

karanbhalla
05-16-2006, 09:00 PM
hey marc,

Thanks for the quick reply. I checked the link you provided and i don't seem to notice any of the problems listed there. Attached are the files you asked for.Kindly look in and let me know if you find any error in them.

Though the only thing i was not sure about was where to place tags within the server.xml file. Please check and see if i need to do anything with that.

thanks,
regards
karan.
check_for_errors.zip

Post edited by: karanbhalla, at: 05/17/2006 01:10

karanbhalla
05-16-2006, 09:11 PM
hey,

Don't think the file came fine there so putting it again.

regards
karan http://forums.pentaho.org/archived_att/files/error_files.zip

Post edited by: karanbhalla, at: 05/17/2006 01:12

guzaldon
05-17-2006, 10:10 AM
I took a quick look at your log file and I would guess you don't have everything you need in your class path.

javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactoryConfigurationError: Provider net.sf.saxon.TransformerFactoryImpl not found

looks like you might be miss the net.sf.saxon.TransformerFactoryImpl package.

Hope that helps,

Nic

karanbhalla
05-19-2006, 02:36 AM
hey nic,

thanks for identifying the problem. i saw the same error but could'nt really understand what to do about that.
Check out another problem:
Out of the samples given for analysis, i tried running the datasource examples. i was able to run the "MDX query on OLAP datasource" and the "XQUERY Query on XML datasource succesfully, but was unable to run the "SQL Query". On running the SQL Query i get the same error as i get with running the "sample data".
please check..

I tried the deployment on linux machine(Suse 10.0), reinstalling Tomcat and deploying pentaho again, but facing the same errors there also.
As i said earlier, deployment is successful on a JBOSS 4.0.3 and running fine there.

Please Help..

Regards
Karan

karanbhalla
05-22-2006, 09:22 PM
hi all,

i am chasing this problem for quite some time now. Is there any one out there who can figure out the exact problem with the files and tell me exactly what i need to do to make it work.
i am attaching the concerned files again, please have a look at them and let me know where i need to make changes.

thanks and regards
karan http://forums.pentaho.org/archived_att/files/files_for_review.zip

mbatchelor
05-23-2006, 05:27 AM
Karan,

I have a couple of questions for you:

a- Did you deploy the pentaho .war file to an existing Tomcat, or to a brand new, newly installed Tomcat?

b- When you deployed, did you follow the Pentaho Advanced Install Guide?

Here's the deal - If I grab the deployments as described in the Pentaho Advanced Install Guide, download the current Apache 5.0 Tomcat, and follow the guide exactly, I don't have any problems.

If you're deploying to an existing Tomcat 5.0, can I suggest that you start with a fresh Tomcat 5.0 (perhaps on your machine if you've been trying the deployment on another box), and get it running there. Then, you could compare the Tomcats to see where things are going wrong.

I currently suspect the Sax jars (saxon8*.jar) have somehow been removed from the pentaho deployment, or perhaps there's a classloader issue between other deployments and the Pentaho deployment.

I hope this helps,

Marc

johnmac100
05-25-2006, 03:44 PM
Karan,

Try reading this post:

http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread.php?t=26066

johnmac

karanbhalla
05-25-2006, 11:29 PM
hi all,

I managed to deploy pentaho successfully on tomcat 5.0. The problem was with the server.xml file. I was faulting in putting the JNDI references in the server.xml file.
Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Karan

gs02sfp
06-22-2006, 09:51 AM
Hi All-

I seem to be running into the same issue as in the post by Karan on 5/17. I am not quite clear on what the resolution was, but I am hoping something was found that can fix my problem.

Attached is the copy of server.xml as well as the system.out log file and error message on when clicking on the data source example. Also included is the text from when running the start_hypersonic.bat program.

My guess is I am not configuring the <DefaultContext> correctly, but would appreciate any feedback on if this is so or not.

Potentially notable exceptions from Karan's setup are
- I am running Tomcat 5.5.17
- I have change to Tomcat port to 8181 from 8080

Pretty much everything else I am thinking is the same as Karan's configuration. Also, I did not notice the javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactoryConfigurationError error in any of my logs described in another post, so maybe something is different.

Anyway, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve

gs02sfp
06-22-2006, 09:52 AM
Hi All-

I seem to be running into the same issue as in the post by Karan on 5/17. I am not quite clear on what the resolution was, but I am hoping something was found that can fix my problem.

Attached is the copy of server.xml as well as the system.out log file and error message on when clicking on the data source example. Also included is the text from when running the start_hypersonic.bat program.

My guess is I am not configuring the <DefaultContext> correctly, but would appreciate any feedback on if this is so or not.

Potentially notable exceptions from Karan's setup are
- I am running Tomcat 5.5.17
- I have change to Tomcat port to 8181 from 8080

Pretty much everything else I am thinking is the same as Karan's configuration. Also, I did not notice the javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactoryConfigurationError error in any of my logs described in another post, so maybe something is different.

Anyway, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve

gs02sfp
06-22-2006, 09:55 AM
Oops! Here is the attached files. http://forums.pentaho.org/archived_att/files/gs02sfp_error_files.zip

karanbhalla
06-22-2006, 09:20 PM
Hi steve,

I think i got your error. You have copied the JNDI Datasource mapping for Tomcat 5.0 for Tomcat 5.5. That was a small error in Advanced Install Guide i think. They have put the sample JNDI mapping for Tomcat 5.0 also under the heading of Tomcat 5.5.
Anyways i am attaching the corrected server.xml file.
Just replace your server.xml file with this one and check if you can get it working. Make sure you have completed all the other steps:

--copied the hsqldb.jar file in {TOMCAT}/common/lib

--started the database

hope this helps.

--Karan
http://forums.pentaho.org/archived_att/files/corrected_server_file.zip

Post edited by: karanbhalla, at: 06/23/2006 01:22

rachaputis
07-13-2006, 07:27 AM
Following the advanced Install Guide, I

1. Downloaded and unpacked the Pentaho BI platform (J2ee);
2. Downloaded Pentaho_data-1.1.7.zip and started the database server;
3. Built a pentaho.war for Tomcat 5.5 w/ ant (v.1.6.5) and JDK version is 1.5.0_07;
4. Copied hsqldb.jar to C:\\Program Files\\Apache Software Foundation\\Tomcat 5.5\\common\\lib directory;
5. Add the JNDI Datasource Mappings to the server.xml file;
6. Tried to deploy by manually copying the war file to webapps folder (Tried this when Tomcat server was stopped)
7. Started tomcat, tried to open 'http://localhost:8080/pentaho', I get "Page cannot be displayed message" But under

C:\\Program Files\\Apache Software Foundation\\Tomcat 5.5\\webapps folder I see 'Pentaho Folder' is built and some files in

there. My question is what else am I missing for the page not to get displayed?
8. I also tried by replacing my server.xml with one I found from the above posting.

My PC's Os is XP.

I am attaching my server.xml file as attachment. Please let me know if you need anyother information from me. Looking forward

to some help

Thanks, Sowmya

Post edited by: rachaputis, at: 07/13/2006 11:41

artur.nascimento
12-18-2006, 08:44 AM
I tryed to use the tomcat with pentaho. I read the advanced configuration to build a war file because I don't want to use the examples that is in the pre-configurate install... I build the war file, edit the server.xml, copy my lib on the directory: /tomcat 5.0/common/lib ... So, when I start the tomcat, the Pentaho's Home page apears, but when I try to use execute a xaction file this error happens:

type Exception report

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

javax.servlet.ServletException: Servlet execution threw an exception
org.pentaho.core.system.SystemStatusFilter.doFilte r(SystemStatusFilter.java:53)

root cause

java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
org.pentaho.repository.HibernateUtil.initialize(Hi bernateUtil.java:153)
org.pentaho.repository.HibernateUtil.<clinit>(Hibe rnateUtil.java:81)
org.pentaho.repository.runtime.RuntimeRepository.s etSession(RuntimeRepository.java:74)
org.pentaho.core.system.PentahoSystem.getRuntimeRe pository(PentahoSystem.java:942)
org.pentaho.core.solution.SolutionEngine.execute(S olutionEngine.java:178)
org.pentaho.core.services.BaseRequestHandler.handl eActionRequest(BaseRequestHandler.java:140)
org.pentaho.ui.servlet.ViewAction.doGet(ViewAction .java:153)
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:689)
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:802)
org.pentaho.core.system.SystemStatusFilter.doFilte r(SystemStatusFilter.java:53)

note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache Tomcat/5.0.28 logs.

I attached the log.

Please, can everyone help me?

Thank's.

Artur.

mbatchelor
12-18-2006, 11:04 AM
Please don't cross-post in our forums. You posted this three times.

See http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread.php?p=150873#post150873