PDA

View Full Version : How to????

ttc2003
05-24-2006, 03:31 AM
Hi

I am a newbie on Pentaho but i can see the enormous potential of this software. Browsing through the samples i am wondering how to setup an portal with just one page.
On this page there will be 4 mayor items:
1.show data from a SQL database
2.show data from a DBF file
3.show data from a XML file
4.show report from above 3 data sources.

Is there an How To manual online.

Hope someone can help me with this.

Freek

mbatchelor
05-24-2006, 04:26 AM
There are plenty of manuals online. If you look at the documentation section on Sourceforge, I think you'll find enough to get you started.

Good luck,

Marc

ttc2003
05-25-2006, 06:21 PM
thanx Marc

I saw all the documentation but could not find anything about changing or adding the standard menu structure.
I tried to add and/or delete any folder to the samples directory with no result...
Maybe someone can help me to make my next step with Pentaho..

Freek

guzaldon
05-25-2006, 07:43 PM
depends on which menu you are trying to alter.

but you'll need to get more firmiliar with JBoss portal.

and portlets.

you'll need to add portlest assuming PCI here.
PCI/jboss/server/default/depoly/pentaho.war/WEB-INF/portle.xml
and you'll also have to get more firmilar with the CMS in jboss portal as well.

I hope that get's you on your way.

Nic.

P.S. You might want to post in a bit more obvouse place than gernal based on what you are trying to do. And adding more detail is better than not enough which is where we are at with your question.

mbatchelor
05-26-2006, 04:41 AM
I think you may be missing something fundamental here. Pentaho is a BI platform with many interlocking BI components. However, it's difficult to demonstrate BI components and infrastructure without having something that resembles a user interface.

That's what we've provided in the PCI. A couple of sample user interfaces that show how a user interface could be built. The current sample user interfaces demonstrate how someone could, using our components, show BI information from JSPs, or how someone could show BI information from within JBoss Portal.

There are an infinite number of potential ways to construct a UI from our BI components. We've picked a comple as a sample of what one could look like.

So, if you're looking for how to modify the portal UI we've provided as a starting place, then you need to have intimate familiarity with JSR-168, and JBoss' implementation of JSR-168 (JBoss Portal).

I hope this helps,

Marc