View Full Version : Jakarta Tomcat 5 doesn't launch Pentaho

ggac
05-26-2006, 03:35 AM
Trying to setup Pentaho under linux (red hat) with :
- jakarta tomcat v5.0.28
- apache
- ant-apache 1.6.5
- pentaho last version 1.1.6
I've generated my pentaho.war, put it in the webapps directory, changed the hots name in web.xml.
I start the hypersonic database without any error, and then try to start tomcat server with the command :
apachectl start
--> OK
$tomcat/startup.sh
--> it doesn't seem to be OK. I've got the following lines :
===================================
Using CATALINA_BASE: /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28
Using CATALINA_HOME: /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28/temp
Using JAVA_HOME: /usr/local/jdk
===================================
and nothing else.
Could anybody help me and tell me what to do to start pentaho ?

Regards,

karanbhalla
05-26-2006, 09:28 AM
hi there,

i was also facing problem with jakarta tomcat5 but that was on windows and i got it up and working just a couple of days back.

First of all, did you try going to the url "http://localhost:8080" to check if everything is running or not cause as far as i remember, when i tried deploying the application on linux, it did not show any other message, but things were stil running fine.

otherwise, if you have exactly followed the advanced installation guide, there should not be any problem. Still check out for the following points :

1)specify the absolute solution path in the web.xml file in of pentaho.war.

2)put hsqldb.jar file in /common/lib directory in home directory of tomcat.

3)put the tags with the JNDI resources(as given in the installation guide)within them, between the tags in server.xml.

Also make sure that JAVA_HOME is set to the directory in which your jdk is installed.And make sure your database is running.

With these things in place there should not be any problem in deploying the war file on tomcat5.
If still you have any problem then attach your server.xml file and server log files as zip files for everyone to view.

hope this helps
karan

PS:i am using the milestone5 and have not yet viewed the milestone6 so am not really aware of the problems with same.