PDA

View Full Version : Dependency on JBoss Portal server

Vikram
05-31-2006, 12:06 AM
What I have understood so far is that Pentaho uses JBoss Portal Server for DashBoard implementation.

JBoss portal server user guide clearly mentions that "JBoss Portal only works with JBoss Application Server". This automatically restricts Pentaho DashBoard functionality *only* to JBoss application server.

Is this the case? What if I want to deploy Pentaho on some other application server, like weblogic or webspeare etc?

Does this mean that if I do not use JBoss application server, I can not create DashBoard? (Which according to me is same as creating a portal, and portal pages in JBoss Portal Server).

I am sure there are many more who would love to get a clarification for the same.

Regards,
Vikram.

guzaldon
05-31-2006, 08:51 AM
It's a pretty often stated that pentaho is not platform dependent. THey choose the jboss and jboss portal because mainly of ease to create a TURN key solution to deminstrate functionality. But a lot of the consects that are used in creating thing in the Jboss portal are JSR 168 complinent. So deploying pentaho elsewhere is not impossible, you'll just have to do some more development. THere is a dashboard that runs from a JSP in the newer demo's and SDK's that could help you create your own dashboard that could run purely on a serlet engine.

I hope that helps it's just my 2 cents,

Nic

jdixon
05-31-2006, 09:10 PM
Hi Vikram,

As Nic points out we are using JBoss to provide a demo server. We do not use any JBoss-specific features in our portlets.

Our portlets are JSR168-compliant and should work with any commercial or open source JSR168-compliant portal such as Pluto, Jetspeed, Liferay, WebSphere Portal, Oracle Portal, WebLogic Portal etc.

You will need to use the portlet deployment files/tools for your selected portal to deploy Pentaho portlets into your portal pages.

We also have examples of creating dashboards using JSP pages and we will release a guide soon that will describe this in more detail and provide help for doing the same with PHP, Lotus Domino and other technologies.

James

Vikram
06-07-2006, 05:08 AM
Hi James,

Thanks for the clarification, as I am clear that portlet examples are *not* JBOSS dependent as it does not use any "JBOSS API" in developing Portlets. I am using version 1.1.1.279, Which demo version has examples of creating dashboards using JSP pages? also awaiting for the guide for the same.

It seems that are many framework classes used to create sample portlets which are created using java portlet API.

For example, When I have gone through the Portlet source code, for example portlet org.pentaho.ui.portlet.FilterPanelPortlet, I can see that many Pentaho Framework classes are uses internally to create filter panel.

But I could not find out a place where I can get explaination/documentation of Pentaho Framework classes, methods etc.

If, some one can let me know documentation available, which will explain me usage of framework classes and its methods, hierarchy etc.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Vikram.