PDA

View Full Version : BIRT 2.0 or BIRT 1.x?

mark.mays
06-01-2006, 09:08 AM
I found posts that say that BIRT 2.x support is coming for Pentaho. BIRT is at 2.1.3. I haven't grabbed Pentaho 1.1.6 yet.

I tried some lib ugrades/replacements that didn't work, but I'm not exactly a Java whiz.

BIRT downloads don't seem to include any 1.x builds that I can find. I believe they start with 2.1 from 11/2005.

Is there a link or post for a procedure to upgrade Pentaho to BIRT 2.x?
Where are any BIRT 1.x builds available for download?
When is the best guess for a Pentaho release for support of BIRT 2.x?

Thanks in advance.

ocho79
06-02-2006, 01:34 AM
Hi,

1. IMHO there doesn't exist such a post about how to upgrade to BIRT 2.x in this forum.
2. You can download the older BIRT Releases from http://download.eclipse.org/birt/downloads/build_list.php
3. Since the Release of the Report Designer I really doubt that there will be any further integration of BIRT 2.x into Pentaho b/c the Report Designer it seems that will cover the functionality of BIRT.

Anyway - I agree with you that it would be very usefull to have BIRT 2 support b/c it's for the moment it's the most sophisticated OSS Reporting tool.

But maybe someone of Pentaho can give us a hint what will happen with BIRT 2.x within Pentaho.

Salu2

nricheton
06-02-2006, 01:56 AM
Hi,

I don't know if BIRT 2 will be supported in Pentaho, but I think that not supporting it would be a mistake.

Currently, BIRT designer features are far better than designers for other report system, at least when it comes to usability.

With the library & joint dataset systems, even end-users can design complex reports without knowing Java, SQL or XML.

From the src, i think that org.pentaho.birt.BIRTReportComponent and org.pentaho.birt.BirtSystemListener are the only classes that need to be updated.

--
Nicolas

mark.mays
06-02-2006, 10:43 AM
Thanks a lot. I'll give old Birt a try.

}8-)

michael.piffret
06-07-2006, 05:53 AM
Hi,

I'm a newcomer here and giving BIRT 1 a try since newer versions aren't supported. I'm not satisfied with current releases of Pentaho Report Designer so I'm registering to take a look at the source code and see if there's some work going on on this.

Since it's an open source projet, I wouldn't really mind if Pentaho doesnt write code to support all the latest versions of third-party reporting tools... Though I will mind if no part of the community doesn't ;)

I'll see for myself and try to do something if nobody else is already working on it.

Post edited by: michael.piffret, at: 06/12/2006 06:11

michael.piffret
06-12-2006, 02:15 AM
Guess what... I've replaced BIRT 1 libraries by BIRT 2 ones, tried to compile Pentaho again. There were 2 errors that I corrected in 10 minutes (two functions have changed since version 1, I found examples in BIRT 2 API documentation) and now it seems to work.. still testing a bit.

Still there's a deprecated function used when no Output is specified, I guess this piece of code will have to be deleted since you'll WANT to specify an output :).

Post edited by: michael.piffret, at: 06/12/2006 06:18

nricheton
06-12-2006, 04:05 AM
Great !

Could you post your changes here so we can help you for the testing ? :-)
When everything seems ok, you should notify a pentaho commiter to get you changed added in Pentaho.

This is a good news for all pentaho/birt users.

Thanks

michael.piffret
06-12-2006, 05:59 AM
Well, due to some mistake I was lead to think it was working... (ashamed)

Now I'm trying to figure out why it's still looking for IReportEmitter, a class that disappeared in BIRT 2.0.

I should come up with something by tomorrow, at least I hope so. It's just the first time I'm working with Java and Eclipse but I'm learning :P

mbatchelor
06-13-2006, 12:03 PM
I took care of this little task this afternoon. It should be in the next build.

Sorry for the delay in getting this out there - it was just one of several hundred to-do tasks on my plate.

I've got it working now with BIRT 2.0.1 (the Feb. 26th build).

Because they've switched away from FOP (thank goodness) , the output types fo and fop are no longer accepted by the component validation, and they've also been removed from the Design Studio as options.

Finally, our sample reports no longer work exactly as written because before, row["region"] (for example) was seemingly the same as row["REGION"]. Or, when the columns came into BIRT, they were translated to all lower case. Whatever the case is, the .rptdesign files have had to change to capitals for accessing all the columns.

Take care,

Marc

Post edited by: mbatchelor, at: 06/13/2006 16:04

michael.piffret
06-14-2006, 04:52 AM
Ok thanks for your work. Upgrading Pentaho Component was a piece of cake, converting reporting examples was harder indeed.

(Next step - jasper 1.2.3)

mbatchelor
06-14-2006, 05:43 AM
While I was upgrading things, I also updated Jasper to 1.2.3. So, I beat 'ya to it.

Marc

theeren
08-02-2006, 01:05 PM
Hi-
I am having troubles with the Birt 1.0 version as well and would like to make the upgrade to the Birt 2 version as I hear the bug I am experiencing has been fixed. Does Pentaho support Birt 2 yet? If not, what is the projected timeline?
Thanks -
theeren

guzaldon
08-02-2006, 02:42 PM
I believe that 2.0.1 support began in 1.1.7. So you should be able to use the latest version to run your birt 2 reports.

http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread.php?t=26522

Hope that helps,

Nic