PDA

View Full Version : What reporting tool for charts ?

bgoetzmann
07-05-2006, 07:57 AM
In order to produce reports with charts I've tested the "Pentaho Report Designer" and the "Pentaho Report Designer Wizard".

With Pentaho Report Designer, it seems you can include charts in your report with a Drawable field, but I can't find help on the documentation and also, pie charts doesn't seem to be supported.

With Pentaho Report Designer Wizard you can only include one chart, and the location of the chart doesn't seem flexible.

Therefore I turned toward Eclipse BIRT 2.1, and the reports I designed give me satisfaction. But when I tried to deploy them in Pentaho I realize that only the BIRT 1.0 is supported.
And I can't find Eclipse BIRT 1.0 for download !

It should be useful if the "Creating Pentaho Solutions" indicates the Eclipse BIRT's version supported.

When Eclipse BIRT 2.1 will be supported ?
Does someone know where to find Eclipse BIRT 1.0 ? (I don't found it on the correpsonding Eclipse project)

I think I'll test JasperReports. What is the version of JasperReports supported ?

Thank you for any help on my questions.

Bertrand.

Post edited by: bgoetzmann, at: 07/05/2006 11:59

Post edited by: bgoetzmann, at: 07/05/2006 12:10

mdamour
07-05-2006, 08:06 AM
You can create a chart for the entire report or you can create a chart that "repeats" (the data is different) for each group in the report.

The location is only flexible in the x-axis, you can specifiy a horizontal offset which will shift the chart horizontally. Since this is a "wizard" we do not have the infinite flexibility of a designer to locate objects at precise coordinates.

This chart functionality will be coming with the Designer and it will be.

You can upgrade the BIRT in the platform, others have done so and it is talked about in our forums. See if you can do a forum search for BIRT..

Do you have a recommendation for specifying the location of the charts in the Wizard? I might be able to accomodate your needs.

Thanks,
Mike

bgoetzmann
07-05-2006, 09:00 AM
About BIRT 2.1, I would be happy to find a procedure to make it work with Pentaho (I've searched 'BIRT' in forums, but don't find a clear procedure to do that).

About JasperReports what version is supported by Pentaho ?
And about a future support of BIRT 2.1 in Pentaho ?

Thank you !

Bertrand.

Post edited by: bgoetzmann, at: 07/05/2006 13:02

guzaldon
07-05-2006, 09:32 AM
I beleive 1.2.3 is now supported with 1.1.7.

Not sure about birt I use jfree.

Nic

dmoran
07-05-2006, 10:23 AM
Bertrand,

The Pentaho 1.1.7 release has upgraded to BIRT 2.0.1 and JasperReports 1.2.3

It would be great if you could get 2.1 working.

Doug

Post edited by: dmoran, at: 07/05/2006 14:24

bgoetzmann
07-07-2006, 01:25 AM
Finally I make a try with BIRT 2.0.1 and Pentaho 1.1.7 release.

With a very simple BIRT 2.0.1 report , it works well in BIRT and Pentaho ; but when I tried a test a more sophiticated report in Eclipse with BIRT, all went wrong !
I can't be able to run a relative simple report witn BIRT 2.0.1 in Eclipse : the BIRT viewer gets me some errors.
But the same tentative works well with BIRT 2.1 that does not (again) supported by Pentaho.

BIRT 2.0.1 seems to have some bugs.

I would appreciate any help !

I hope Pentaho's team is going to integratre BIRT 2.1 !

Post edited by: bgoetzmann, at: 07/07/2006 05:25

dmoran
07-07-2006, 09:44 AM
Bertrand,

BIRT 2.1 should be available in the next release of Pentaho scheduled for July 15th.

We can try to post instructions on how to upgrade before that if possible.

Are the errors you are getting Pentaho related or strictly BIRT?

Doug

nix1209
07-07-2006, 12:09 PM
Hello Doug,

This would be a much awaited release! It is great to hear that we can finally use Pentaho with BIRT 2.1 :)

Would there be any improvements in the latest release of Pentaho in the area of Data Analysis and Mondrian? A document or tutorial for using Mondrian to create an Analysis report and also include charts would be highly appreciated!!

Thank you very much.

Nikita Patel
Jr. Developer
Net.Orange, Inc.

bgoetzmann
07-11-2006, 01:26 AM
The errors that I got were strictly BIRT 2.0.1 errors.

It's a really good news that Pentaho will support BIRT 2.1 !
Thank you for all the work you make !

I share also the nix1209's demand about a document/tutorial for using Mondrian. ;-)

Bertrand
Java Architect

dawa
07-11-2006, 04:46 AM
I'm really interested in this release too because, Birt 2.1 contains some features required for my company. We have to put this system in production in a few. If the next release of Pentaho is on 15th of July it's ok for me, but if there is some delay, can you give us the way to integrate BIRT 2.1 in Pentaho?

Many thanks in advance.

Also, i've detected a bug in BIRT that give a problem in production environment with Pentaho : When a Birt report is executed, it makes a log file with this name ReportEngine_YYYY_MM_DD_HH_MI_SS.log. The problem is that Birt don't release his handle on each file. This log file is handled in a static way. So when you launch a second Birt reports, it write into the log file, but also into the first. I've looked into the source of Birt and found that it was the org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.EngineLogger that makes the cumulative log writing. I don't know if that's help somebody, but, for me, it was a good way to increase Pentaho performance.

Post edited by: dawa, at: 07/11/2006 10:28

linard.c
07-17-2006, 05:25 AM
Hello Doug,

Are you sure that Birt 2.1 is available in the new release of Pentaho (Pentaho Open BI Suite version 1.2) ?

I try to execute a report developped with Eclipse and birt 2.1, but the execution has failed.

Birt 2.1 contains some features that are important for my company.

Please tell me more ...

Many thanks in advance.

bgoetzmann
07-17-2006, 02:35 PM
Hello Doug,

I just downloaded the Pentaho demo 1.2 RC1 (build 341) in order to test a BIRT 2.1 report, and unfortunately it doesn't work.
In Eclipse 3.2 with BIRT 2.1 plugin my report works well (in the viewer).
With the Pentaho demo, I get an error at the execution of the report ; BIRT log file indicates that the design file is invalide.

It seems that this version of Pentaho does not support BIRT 2.1. Is it the case ?

Thank you for your response (and all your work).

You can find the rtpdesign file as attached file.
Here the action I use for this test :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<action-sequence>
<name>test-BIRT.xaction</name>
<version>1</version>
<title>6. Test de rapport avec Eclipse BIRT</title>
<logging-level>debug</logging-level>
<documentation>
<author>Bertrand Goetzmann</author>
<description>Un exemple d'état conçu avec Eclipse BIRT.</description>
<icon>BIRT2.png</icon>
<help/>
<result-type>report</result-type>
</documentation>
<inputs>
<output-type type="string">
<default-value>html</default-value>
<sources>
<request>type</request>
</sources>
</output-type>
</inputs>
<outputs/>
<resources>
<report-definition>
<solution-file>
<location>ventes.rptdesign</location>
<mime-type>text/xml</mime-type>
</solution-file>
</report-definition>
</resources>
<actions>
<action-definition>
<action-inputs>
<output-type type="string"/>
</action-inputs>
<action-outputs/>
<component-name>BIRTReportComponent</component-name>
<action-type>report</action-type>
<component-definition>
</component-definition>
</action-definition>
</actions>
</action-sequence> http://forums.pentaho.org/archived_att/files/ventes.rptdesign