PDA

View Full Version : Bursting Reports generated using Jasper Reports

ehssame
07-05-2006, 01:47 PM
I am a Pentaho newbie and have been exploring the demo app for a day now.
I was trying to create an action sequence (using the Eclipse Plugin) and noticed the report being bursted in the demo app is a JFreeReport . Can I also have bursting with a jasper report (the report being generated using .jrxml) ?
From the eclipse Plugin it doesnt seem to be possible since there is no option to do so.
Please let me know how to do it (if its possible)

Thanks
Sam

ehssame
07-07-2006, 10:50 AM
Does anyone have an idea abt the problem ?

Thanks
Sam

ehssame wrote:

I am a Pentaho newbie and have been exploring the demo app for a day now.
I was trying to create an action sequence (using the Eclipse Plugin) and noticed the report being bursted in the demo app is a JFreeReport . Can I also have bursting with a jasper report (the report being generated using .jrxml) ?
From the eclipse Plugin it doesnt seem to be possible since there is no option to do so.
Please let me know how to do it (if its possible)

Thanks
Sam

guzaldon
07-07-2006, 11:23 AM
you should be able to just add a jasper report to you bursting xaction instead of the jfreereport. JasperReportsComponent is the Component-name that you'll use.

Hope that helps,

Nic

ehssame
07-10-2006, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the reply. I did the same (added a jasper report to the bursting xaction) but couldn't get it to work . All it does is fetch the id,name,email from abc (a table I created) and shows the same in the browser but never sends out any emails.
The other bursting xaction (the one that comes with the demo) runs perfectly fine and I get emails.
Can anyone please look at the xaction file (attached with the post) and let me know if I am missing out something ?

Thanks
Sam http://forums.pentaho.org/archived_att/files/BurstActionSequenceAbc.xaction

dmoran
07-10-2006, 01:10 PM
Sam,

Try changing the SQLLookupRule's <action-output> as follows:

Change -
<burst-data type="list"/>
To -
<query-result type="result-set" mapping="burst-data"/>

By the way, what version of Pentaho are you running? The Action Sequence looks very old. You should upgrade to 1.1.7 as there are many bug fixes. If you are running 1.1.6 or 1.1.7, then this Action Sequence will not work. You will need to remove the org.pentaho.component. from all the <component-name> nodes. org.pentaho.component.SQLLookupRule becomes SQLLookupRule.

Or better yet, start with the samples that come with the latest platform.

Have fun,
Doug

ehssame
07-12-2006, 06:44 AM
Doug

Thanks. Upgrading to 1.1.7 and making the relevant changes did it for me. (For some reason :-) I had downloaded the GA 1.0.0 version)

On a sidenote the eclipse plugin doesn't let you define a jasper report / BIRT report (Although I can always call the component directly in the XML) .
Is that intentional ? Are you guys planning to have the ability to specify Jasper/BIRT report (using the plugin) sometime in future ?

Thanks
Sam

dmoran
07-13-2006, 10:41 AM
Sam,

Glad you got past that one.

As for your next question - I'm not sure what you are asking. You can currently add a Jasper or BIRT component and select a file to use for the report definition from the action sequence plugin.

If you are asking if we launch the BIRT or Jasper Report designer from the plugin, we do not. Since BIRT is already an eclipse plugin, you could drop it into the same eclipse as the action sequence editor. I'm not sure about Jasper.

At this point, there are no plans to integrate the BIRT or Jasper designers. That would make a good community contribution though.

Doug