PDA

View Full Version : Tips zur RC Install under Linux

rlance
07-27-2006, 07:48 AM
I was happily surprised to find the installation of the PCI under Linux was just a matter of copying the unpacked files from the zip distribution and making a couple of adjustments - and it ran!

I'd like to share briefly what was necessary (for us) to get it going in case this isn't documented somewhere.

1) Install the Java JDK, if not already.
2) Ensure the environment variable $JAVA_HOME is set to the JDK install directory.
3) Change the Shellscripts (.sh) in and under the PCI install directory to be executeable. An easy way to do this is (as root) from the <PCI-Install directory>: chmod 755 `find . -name "*.sh" -print` (that funny little char `is a backwards slanting apostophe)
4) If $JAVA_HOME/bin is not already in $PATH, then you have to replace the "java" with "$JAVA_HOME/bin/java" in the start_.. and stop_hypersonic.sh scripts under ./data. The JBoss scripts (eg. run.sh) are a little bit smarter and take of this themselves.
5) Make the rest of the changes as in the "Quick Start Guide".
6) Start Pentaho as root with "./start-pentaho &" to have it run in background.

Good luck!
Ralph

jdixon
07-28-2006, 04:43 AM
Hi Ralph,

I'm glad you got it working. It should be easy to get any of our PCI zip files to work on Linux. We also offer an RPM packag installer that should be even easier.

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/pentaho/pentaho-demo-1.2.0.341-RC1.noarch.rpm?download

Have you tried this as well?

James

rlance
07-28-2006, 05:55 AM
James,

A colleague of mine did try the only rpm we found - the GA 1.0 release - 'bout 100 pentaho years old ;). We didn't find any since then. Generally speaking it worked, but the shell scripts were also not executable.

We'll check out the new rpm.

Ralph

rlance
08-03-2006, 04:48 AM
Hi James,

Just downloaded the RC1 rpm. You might want to update the size from 64MB on the download page to 83MB. I'm not worried, but such differences may make some people unsure.

I'll have the rpm installed on a new Linux system we'll be using for demonstrations.

Ralph

twells
08-04-2006, 11:35 AM
James,

All of the shell scripts in the 1.2.0.341-RC1 RPM need to be made executable still.

And if I could make a suggestion here as well, install a startup script in /etc/init.d/ (and appropriate run-levels as well).

Further I'd suggest defining the install location in your shell scripts like start-pentaho.sh and then referring to it in those scripts rather than do things like:

cd ../jboss/bin
./run.sh

Thanks,

Tabor

rlance
08-05-2006, 05:01 AM
Tabor,

we immediately setup start/stop scripts, so pentaho wouldn't have to be started by hand, but could you help me understand, why it might be advantageous to specify the install directory and then use this explicitly?

Thanks.
Ralph

twells
08-07-2006, 05:02 AM
Its really just a convenience so that you don't have to remember to cd to the install directory of pentaho to stop/start the server.

I suppose it would probably also make things easier for people who choose to override the install location of /opt/pentaho-demo with something else more appropriate for their environment, by providing a single option change for $PENTAHO_HOME (or whatever).

Will the /etc/init.d/ startup scripts appear in the next RC?

Thanks,

Tabor

twells
08-07-2006, 05:29 AM
twells wrote:

Will the /etc/init.d/ startup scripts appear in the next RC?

Sorry. I lost the thread of who was a pentaho developer and who was another user when I posted that. :)

Tabor

rlance
08-07-2006, 05:49 AM
Thanks for the flattery ;), but no problem.

Out tech said the scripts are very easy to make with a command called 'insserv'. I don't know it exactly, but the scripts (in our case) look like this:

PENTAHO_BIN=/opt/pentaho-demo
LOG_FILE=/var/log/pentaho.log
test -x $PENTHAO_BIN || exit 5

cd ${PENTAHO_BIN}

# Start, Stop

case "$1" in
start)
echo "Starting pentaho"
./start-pentaho.sh > ${LOG_FILE} 2>&1 &
;;
stop)
echo "Shutting down pentaho"
./stop-pentaho.sh >> ${LOG_FILE} 2>&1 &
;;
*)
echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop}"
exit 1
;;
esac

Ralph

rlance
08-08-2006, 02:39 AM
Hi James,

I talked with the tech who used the rpm to install pentaho on one of our Linux hosts. He said it overwrote the environment vars of an existing java 1.5 installation. May I suggest an rpm and zip with JRE and one without. That way the PCI could be smaller for those that already have a JDK or JRE installed, there wouldn't be a risk of influencing an existing JDK/JRE installation and the existing JDK/JRE would be used automatically in most cases. You would need to review your start/stop scripts to see that they are not hard-coded.

Ralph

adeshazor
08-21-2006, 07:51 AM
Wow! Lots of good suggestions. We will tackle these before RC3; RC2 is already pending. In general, we take steps to ensure proper Linux support and documentation before GA.

Anthony